Briggs 35HP Vanguard Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 1998tahoe, Jun 19, 2011.

1. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

if these units have the cam driven fuel pumps, you can replace them with the pulse style fuel pumps. I've done 4 of them under warranty. this will move the fuel pump up to the valve cover as seen on the newer engines. you need to drill a hole in the manifold to get the vacuum. all the units i have done all had the same symtoms. if unit was ran out of fuel it would not restart. i have not had any issues with the new pumps we put on.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The mechanic found on mine that the replacement fuel pump, supplied by briggs, was only putting out less than 1 pound of pressure, and of course not able to self prime at all. We replaced the fuel pump again and found the new one puts out like 3 psi. They also changed the needle valve in the carb, some have a plastic needle valve and briggs finally said this could be causing problems as well, a brass one went in its place. Since these final repairs I didn't have any problems. I even ran it out of gas just yesterday. Dumped 5 gallons in the tank, only half full, and it fired right back up with minimal cranking. Not the case before! Plus I didn't have the issues in the heat I was having either.
    Posted via Mobile Device