Briggs 8 horse help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hounddog, Oct 30, 2006.

1. hounddog

hounddog LawnSite Member

We have a go cart with a 8 HP briggs on it. Tried to start it tonight on the third pull tonight it would not pull. I pulled the cover off with the string and once off it pulls fine The shaft in the motor will not turn. This ran great in summer. It never started when if froze up. Can anyone give me some advice?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Can you grab the flywheel and spin the engine over ? If so it sounds like (if equipped) the starter recoil clutch locked up. It could be taken apart cleaned and a little oil put on the end of the crankshaft then re-assembled.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if it has a charging system on it then pull the flywheel and see if any magnets came off the flywheel. has it been sitting long?

4. hounddog

hounddog LawnSite Member

Not sure about it. it is on a manco gocart. It has sat for about a year.

5. Restrorob

Post the model and type numbers off the engine, That will tell us exactly what engine you have. I'd be willing to bet after sitting that long the carbon build-up on the head dried out and popped loose locking the piston against the valves.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Where is the fuel tank? Is it mounted up high? Maybe a leaking needle/seat allowed the cylinder to fill with fuel above the piston. Try pulling the spark plug and see if you can spin it. Watch out for flying gas coming out of the spark plug hole ;)

7. hounddog

hounddog LawnSite Member

Model number is 190432 Tried removing the spark plug did not work.
    HELP PLEASE

8. hounddog

hounddog LawnSite Member

flywheel will not spin

9. Restrorob

Make sure the coil is not hitting the flywheel from rust build-up, If not then
    remove the head as I suggested earlier and check for carbon.

10. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

With spark plug removed spray some penetrating oil of your choice into the spark plug hole using the straw on the nozzle of the can. Afterwards grasp the flywheel with both hands and try to rock it backwards to free it up.If you can turn it backwards a little then rotate it forward slowly concentrating on sense of feel to determine if it is internal or maybe someting in the clutch end that may be causing it to lock up. Repeat several times but do not force thru the point where it is locking up unless it rolls thru freely.Hopefully it is in the drive end of the shaft ,i/e the clutch mechanism.