Briggs and Strat starts but won't stay running, what do i do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

it has new gas, new oil, new airfilter...its been sitting for like 6 months b/c i don't use it much...21" snapper w/ brigs commercial motor on it...if i spray starter fluid in their it'll start but it doesn't run long....at all, i thought i checked the gas line already and it was ok, so what are other problems that this could be?!?

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a fuel problem, does it have a fuel filter? If so replace that. See if the carb is leaking, could be the gasket.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Does it seem like it's flooding when it runs or is it running lean. Sometimes the carb adjustment need changing after it sits, especially in colder climate. Also, it's possible that the carb may have a bad diaghram. You usually can't even see the hole or tear when you remove it. One other thing, does this gas you put into it work well in other equipment?

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What do you do? Get a Honda Commercial Mower - period.

5. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

it sounds like it is running just fine, just doesn't stay running, the fuel is BRAND new out of the pump...what are some steps i could take to try and get her running?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's GOTTA be the carburetion if it's firing consistently. If it's not flooding out, it's probably running to lean. Try richening it up a quarter of a turn or so. (outward) If this doesn't do it, it's probably a bad diaghram.

7. The carb is blocked with varnish from bad gas. Try removing and cleaning the carb. It might be so far gone that a new replacment will be needed.

Go out and buy a bottle of fuel stablizer and use it in all machines that see little usage.

8. sunnyside

sunnyside Banned
    from Kansas

Go down to your local repair shop and tell them you want a diapham for the 5 horse Briggs. This will fix your problem for sure. It is easy to put on as it is on the outside of the carb held on by about 5 small screws, it looks like a plate. Just take the plate off and replace the rubber on the other side and your done. I used to race go-carts with open briggs on them and would have to replace all the time with running alcohol. The part will cost only 2.00 and a repair place will charge 30.00 and tell you they did several adjustments and that is all there is to it. If you have a problem with it give me an e-mail. Ryan

9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

It sounds like your just running the starting fluid out of it and then it quits. Sounds to me like the carb is clogged check the bowl and possibly the main jet. Take it all apart and soak it in kerosene and blow it out with air. Carbs are simple to work on so don't be afraid of it.

10. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

If its a bowl type carb, don't lose the seat that the needle goes in. I agree with Stone and Greenkeepers, the carb's clogged up.