Briggs and Stratton 14.5 Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TierOneLawnCare, Jul 22, 2006.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Currently own an old (Montgomery Ward Tractor) with a Briggs 14.5 I/C Motor On it (Cant read the serial Number) tracter and mower is probably 8-10 years old. Eng has a horrible vibration and is leaking oil either in the front of the motor or underneith, I cant tell and has a horrbile Drag sound when I shut it off... All of the started at once....Any help is apperciated if I gave enough info thanks again

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I could help ya a little more but I can't. If you have any type of a dealer near by I'm sure they could tell you in a short time.:waving:

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Bent crank maybe? Pretty vague information especially since you cant get and #'s.

4. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

I knew the info would be vague...and Im sorry..... Im not real sure how else to explain it

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would start with cleaning the engine then check the belt guides under the engine, They could be bent hitting the crank pulley. If not remove the belts from the engine start it up and check for noise and viabration, If gone check idler pulleys and variator bearings and belts. With the engine clean run and look for the leak, Lower crankshaft seal, Sump (oil pan) gasket, Oil fill tube or valve cover on a OHV engine.
    You can get the model and type numbers off the engine, Briggs numbers are stamped in the blower housing above the spark plug or on a tag on top of the housing or on the valve cover of the OHV engine.

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Rob is on the right track. You might also try pushing and pulling, thereby putting side pressure on the cooling fan screen as a check to see if crank bearings are shot, since _any_ side play will mean that is problem.