Briggs and stratton 5 hp mower/mulcher

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jquest, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jquest

jquest LawnSite Member

I use this mower for small jobs and right now I have a problem. I pull on the rope and turns it on, but then it dies. I've replaced the air filter, spark plug and the gasket that goes from the filter housing to the carb. I've also removed the muffler to see if there was an obstruction, but the same thing keeps happening. I pull on the rope and it fires up. after about 3 seconds it dies. The only way that it keeps running is.....if I keep priming the bulb fast after it fires up.
    Any ideas and thank you for your help.

2. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

Sounds like the carburetor is dirty. needs to be cleaned and possibly a rebuild

3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

remove the plug from the bottom of the float bowl. (this is actually also the main jet). Hold the float bowl in place with your finger over the hole to stop the gas flow. Let it run out a little to remove debris in bottom of bowl. with other hand hold the jet and blow through it. Then reinstall. This usually works in the field. If not comfortable doing this then remove the carb first. If you do you may need to replace the air filter plate to carb gasket( if it doesn't seal the primer bulb won't work. If you remove the float bowl(which I would if I had the carb off). you may need a new bowl gasket. When done install a good paper (not wire mesh) fuel filter to prevent future trouble.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

most likely if it is a newer enigine it has a diaphragm type carb, Get the engine model number and head to a repair shop and pick up a carb kit, they are about $5 and very easy to fix

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

5 and 6 horse vertical shaft have conventional float bowl type carbs. Only the horizontal models have diaphragm type.

6. jquest

jquest LawnSite Member

thank you gents. I"ll try your suggestion and let you guys know. :)

7. jquest

jquest LawnSite Member

hey guys,
    I wanted to say thank you!! :p
    I took the carb off. Then I took the nut off the bowl and cleaned it out with B-12 Carb cleaner. Then I stuck a little wire through the hole to make sure there was nothing left in it and gas could flow without restriction.
    What happened was....some crud got into the nut that holds the bowl and feeds the carb. I cleaned everything out and then I put it back together. Pulled the string and it fired up and stayed on. SAWEEEEET
    thanks for all the help!! :) :)

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

b-12 is good stuff, i'm glad she's purring again!!