Briggs and Stratton Classic 3.5

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dbsound, Aug 13, 2006.

1. dbsound

dbsound LawnSite Member

Model 9D902
    Type 2005
    I've got a Briggs and Stratton Classic 3.5 motor, on a pushmower. I've replaced the carburator gasket(which I usually have to do about once a year). Anyway, this time it hasn't fixed it. After I prime it, it WILL start, then die, UNLESS I keep hitting the primer button for about 30 seconds. After the repeated priming, it will finally come out of it, and run. Why is it not sucking the gas by itself. I wouldn't mind the priming, but it's for a rental property, so a renter is never gonna figure that out!
    THANKS!

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Save yourself the BS replace it with a Honda 4hp. Very cheap, those Briggs' will drive you nuts unless it's a Vanguard series made by Diahtsu for Briggs.

3. dbsound

dbsound LawnSite Member

How cheap is cheap???

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

135 is what small engine warehouse has it listed for. I would just buy a new cheap push mower...

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Buy a new diaphram kit, part number 495770, and install between carb and fuel tank. Two bolts hold the tank and carb on the engine. Remove tthose bolts and carb/tank assembly will slip off the crossover tub to which the carb is attached. You will need to unhook the carb linkage from the carb as you remove the assembly. Remove the screws that hold the carb to the tank and you can lift the carb from the tank. Be careful not to lose the spring between the diagphram and carb. Note the position of the two diagphram components. Check the pick up tube for accumulated debris and blow out carb with carb/choke cleaner. Be careful not to blow out primer bulb if using compressed air. Reassemble in reverse order, add fuel and you ought to good to go.

Dutch

6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

Just take the carburetor off the tank and clean it, be carefull not to tear the diaphram and gasket, Clean everything including the carb cavity in the tank itself, also drain and clean the tank. also make sure that the (O ring) is fitted properly on the intake manifold when you reinstall the carb and tank to the motor.A new carb sells for $19.99 in my shop so if cleaning does not do the job then concider a new carb

7. dbsound

dbsound LawnSite Member

Hmm, I've replaced the gasket already. I guess I need to take it apart again, and check the pickup tube. Hopefully that's it. Thanks.
    My next step is to just buy another cheapo, but Wallyhell's already out of stock for this year. Gawd, I hate that place.

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you are taking it off again, make sure you got the two piece diagphram kit on in the proper order. Run a tag wire through the jet of the carb to make sure it is clear. Before putting on the air cleaner, operate the primer to make sure you are getting fuel in to the carb.

Dutch

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, Jus had to put my two cents in. :hammerhead:

Briggs wb fuel tank.jpg

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

OK Rob, did you draw all that? Or do you have a database full of parts images? Either way, you save alot of us alot of time and agervation.