briggs and stratton magneto???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ofishil, Nov 27, 2004.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

i have a snapper self-propel mower. I think 19" or so. it has a briggs and stratton 6.75hp intek ohv. around a month ago i got caught in some flooding rain. ever since then it has given me problems. it used to start on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. well the day after the rain i went out to cut and it wouldnt start so i put a new plug, changed oil, drained fuel. it cranked after around 5 pulls. plug was all black. a week later threw in another plug. it has slowly been losing power. well this week it went to total crap. it would barely stay on after i got it cranked. (which was work). even it short grass it would really bog down. even the self propel slowed down. my friend over the phone said it was probably the magneto. Does that sound correct? If so I find it by following the spark plug wire? What does it look like? He said it probably has rust on it. Do i clean it with sandpaper or should i just replace it. Ive never done this before.

It also started blowing black smoke out the muffler. after i throw some oil in it it blows white. It started burning oil or something.

Also in one day the self-propel cable broke and I just pushed it to finish. Next yard the string to start it broke. Just my luck.

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you in TX? With the luck you are having, and your self proclaimed lack of experience, I believe you would be better to take it into a shop than to try repairing it yourself and causing yourself more problems. I mean.. if you don't even know where the coil is, chances are, you might find it, take it off to sand the rust off and not be able to get it back on with the correct gap. Also sounds like you have more problems than just electrical. Save yourself a bottle of Asprin and take it to a shop.

3. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

thats what i was planning on doing. the dealer said around 3 weeks. i was gonna take it to a little shop i heard about but since the holiday they have been closed since wendsday. thats why i was going to try to fix it myself. Im in Corpus. thanks for the speedy reply.