briggs and stratton on quick 36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by miketina, Nov 25, 2005.

1. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

I would like to hear what everyone has to say about the briggs and stratton motor. I've been very impressed with what I hear about the quick 36 but have read nothing about the durability of its motor and how long it will last for commercial work. I've been told by a friend to go with nothing but the kawasaki.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

if your friend says that kawasaki is the only good engine, then he is ignorant of all the other engines that are truly great out there. tons of people love their kohler or honda engines.

as far as the briggs goes, I have not had any problems with mine at 350 hours. the only thing was that the spark plug jiggled loose once. but that is the 13hp model.

I have not used the engine, but I think that the briggs els is a fairly decent engine. briggs has been doing a lot to bring up the quality of their engines in recent years.

even if the engine should give out after 900 hours (it should go longer) it will be just as expensive to buy two briggs, than one kawasaki.

If I were you though, I would wait and see if better will have a 16hp kohler courage on it. I don't know if it will happen. but I know they were considering that engine at one time. they ran into some problems with the muffler not mounting up right, so they had to redesign some stuff.

if you would be happy with the briggs, go for it now and take advantage of the fall promotional they have. I personally like my briggs ok, has a bit many vibes at times, but an decent engine at that.

the truth with these small engines, is that there are so few parts to go wrong, a techumseh would probably run fine for 900 hours.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Give the guys at Better OP a call and see if you can buy one w/o an engine.

The chances of those guys doing something special for you are a lot better than one of the big outfits.

No probs with the 16 Briggs..... but I would like to try a twin on one.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only problem with buying it without an engine, is muffler problems. the only engien that will fit it without heating up your fuel tank, is the single cylinder 13-15hp kawasaki engines. which are now out of production, due to epa requirments.