Briggs and Stratton Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Went to my local dealer today. I was just looking around and he said something about some zturns he had coming in with this briggs vanguard on them. Then he took me over to a exmark zturn and it had a briggs vanguard on it. I think it was a 20 or 22 horse. Are these good motors. Would you guys recommend getting a mower with this motor on it or go with a kawasaki, honda, kohler. My scag walkbehind has a kawasaki on it and it does great.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually yes the Vanguard V-Twin is a very good engine.

3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the only briggs was that HUGE 31 h.p. unit they were putting on the big lazers? :help:

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, let's see.. you've got the 18 horse which will be on all the models of Exmark CTs, the 27hp daihatsu/briggs diesel on the Exmark Lazer XP, and the 31hp briggs on the Lazer Z XS.

As for other manufacturers, I cannot comment as I do not have that data available. It's possible.. the Vanguard IS the commercial line, carries the same 2 year commercial warranty most Kawis and others carry.. so...

5. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 16 hp that is 12 years old and it runs as well as the day I bought it... payup

6. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I have a 18hp on my JD, I have no complaints, It'll run all day long without missing a lick. I still wouldn't mind having a kohler.

7. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Vanguards are a partenership between Briggs and Diahatsiu,from 6.5 and up. excuse spelling. They are tested to 2000 hrs. They are supposed to be very good engines Briggs most commercial.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a b/s vanguard 16 hp on a Toro wb that is a 1998 model and it still runs fine. I find it pretty darn torquey too.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have 2 16HP Briggs Vanguard (daihatsu) engines from '97 & '98 respectively w/ 1500 hrs & 2500 hrs on them. Never had any engine service done to either. Run great, start right up.

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

one thing i like about the vanguard is it is rebuildable it is not a throw away