Briggs and Stratton won't run ...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stonecipher, May 17, 2008.

1. Stonecipher

Stonecipher LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Hi!

I have a Craftsman 22 hp, 42" mower, Model 917.272281. The motor is the 446777-0165-e1. Father-in-law gave it to me used last year, mowed the whole season without issues. Started to use it this spring, and it would only run 30-60 seconds then die. I started looking at it and found a nest behind one of the shrouds, and a plug wire almost gnawed in two. So, there's my prob, I replace the magneto. Still does the same thing. Check the wiring more carefully, and the small wire to the megneto has some insulation missing. I check for continuity, and put heat shrink over the wire. I've checked the switch under the seat, and checked the fuse. I replace the fuel filter and the plugs for good measure, and verify that I'm getting gas to the carb. Still only runs for about 30 - 60 seconds, then dies.

Any ideas?

2. Ryanwhite5

Ryanwhite5 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

i have the same problem with my trimmer and cant find whats wrong.

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

A couple things to check-
    Make sure vacuum hoses to the fuel pump aren't cracked etc. You may have fuel to the carb, but it may not be sufficient when the engine is under load.
    Make sure gas cap vent is working. <omentarilly loosen the cap nd see if it makes a difference.
    Make sure the wire to the carb fuel solenoid is firmly attached.

4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Just a quick thought. If you let it sit with fuel in it over the winter, and it has a standard carburetor, you may want to drop and cleaned out the 'bowl'. Fuel had a tendency to turn to varnish and if the bowl float can move freely, it does not allow the amount of fuel to flow you need to keep the engine running. IE: You get just enough to start it and the flow rate can't keep up. I know you said you were getting fuel, but is it enough?

This could be a real easy fix. You'll know in a instant once you drop the bowl if this is the problem. ALSO: Have you checked and replaced the inline fuel filter and/or replaced the spark plug?

5. Stonecipher

from Dallas

Carb fuel solenoid firmly attached - Check
    Gas cap removed, still dies - Check

Vacuum hose to pump - it was split at the base, I thought that might be it. I placed a thin plastic tube inside the rubber hose to seal the split. Didn't seem to make a difference. Will order a new hose online, no one is open on sundays around here. What should the output from the pump be like? I'm getting spark, but not enough fuel I guess. The hose is $1.90, and the pump is $23.10. Hate to buy a pump if that's not it. As stated earlier, already put new inline filter on the mower, and can see the fuel in it. Motor will run if I splash a bit of gas down it, or let it sit a bit, it will start for a brief 30 sec time. I may go ahead and replace the hoses from the tank to the carb just for good measure.

How much should the pump put out? Any way to test it?

6. Stonecipher

from Dallas

I'll go take a look at it. Can the bowl be dropped without removing the whole carb? Winter in Dallas lasts about 2 months where I'm not mowing!

And I have done the filter and plugs already from my first post. Thanks! :)

7. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I think the pumps only put out about 1-1.5 PSI?
    Basically enough to push it through the filter.

8. Stonecipher

from Dallas

I just checked the line from the pump back to the tank - put a mityvac on it and pulled gas thru without problems, so I don't think there is an obstruction in the line. Hhmm, 1.5 psi isn't much. :confused:

Also took the carb off, and removed the bowl. There was a little bit of crud in there, cleaned it out. No difference. I'm stumped.

9. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

When it starts can you keep it running by applying the choke then gradually backing the choke off a little ? If so,then you likely have carb. issues.Did you remove the float and check needle and seat for debris and that float assembly is working freely ? Basically
    you need to clean carb thoroughly by spraying carb cleaner in all passages and follow it with compressed air in order to remove debris and varnish/gum from the main jet etc....
    ...Just my half-fast opinion. :dizzy: