1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

briggs and stratton

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jerni21, Oct 2, 2006.

1. jerni21

jerni21 LawnSite Member

high i got a briigs and stratton ohv engine on a riding lawn mower and well the mower caught on fire and melted all the wiring well i got it almost all wired except for two wires coming from under the fly wheel ones red the other green so im assuming ones for charging and the others for headlights but which is which, and do i run one of the wires straight to the battery for charging, or do i need a resistor or diode or sumthing in there???? i measured the voltafe on the wires and the red is 25-26V and the green is aroun 10-12V when the engines at full throttle so im really stumped on how this charging works any help would be greatly appreciated.

model: 313777
    type: 0112E1
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The wires are as you said, One charge the red one and one lights the green one. There is supposed to be a diode just behind the plug connector on the stator lead. Use your multimeter set on ohms to check the diode. It possibly blew when wires melted and shorted together.

Put one lead on the red wire the other to a engine ground then take reading then swap leads and read again, You should have a reading one direction and not the other. If the diode is good you can hook the red wire to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

Do not hook the red wire up without a diode, It will smoke the stator.

Did you install a in-line fuse holder in this harness from the battery side of the solenoid to the ignition switch ?
  3. jerni21

jerni21 LawnSite Member

the diode was completely destroyed, i didnt ven know there was one except for the few chard remains of what looked like one, but i didnt know if it was a diode or resistor, so what do i replace it with, like a quarter watt or sumthing??? and the fuse holder was alright as it wasnt in the engine compartment so yes i did install that, thanks for your help so far.
  4. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

rob will clear up--but i believe charge wire will put out like 7 AMPS ???? the red--
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This dual circuit stator will put out 2 amps DC @ 2400 rpm to 3 amps DC @ 3600 rpm.

I'm not sure what type diode one would install on this stator, I have always replaced the whole stator. Yours is part# 696459 and list for 23.65, Now they say there is a replaceable diode but I couldn't find a part number for it, Your dealer may have to call Briggs for that.
  6. jerni21

jerni21 LawnSite Member

ok maybe ill try a diode rated for like 10 amps or something, should work if anyone knows the actual size i would grealty appreciate it, but imma try a 50cent diode first before the 25 dollar stator
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

at radio shack they have a lot of diodes. just buy the largest like i did. i don't remember the size but it's like 2.50 for a pair.
  8. jerni21

jerni21 LawnSite Member

thats not bad thats what i was planning on doin thanx a lot for all your help