1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Briggs Carb Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bbahun, May 29, 2007.

1. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

Here is what I got. Model 461707, Type 0143, Code 00111458. When I start the engine I am getting gas coming out of two little holes that are in the top of the carb. When the pan that the air filter sits in is ontop of the carb I am getting gas in the pan that the air filter sits in. I thought that the float needle was not sealing so I put a new needle in and still have this problem.Any ideas? Thanks---Ben

2. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

Check The Float Level And Make Sure Theres Not Any Trash In The Bowl If There Is You Could Have Something Keeping The Needle From Shutting Properly

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

EMT is right checking float level. Holding the top of the carb. up side down the float should be just a little higher than level. Also take the float in one finger and your thumb and shake it briskly, If it has a pin hole in it you will feel fuel inside and needs replacing.

4. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

The float is plastic and I don't think there is any way to adjust it that I know of. When I turn the carb upside down the float is below level and rests on the gasket. also it didn't have a float valve needle seat. Is that right? Thanks--Ben

5. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

6. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. The needle that came in the carb kit was wrong. As soon as I put the old needle back in the problem was solved. They looked the same but when I put the new one in the float was below level and was resting on the carb body. With the old one the float stayed level. Thanks you guys are awsome!