Briggs carb problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lwcmattlifter, Nov 16, 2005.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Model 256426
    Type 1130E1
    Code 9906243A

I'm having problems with the carb flooding and spraying fuel into the air cleaner. I rebuilt the carb and that didn't help. Yesterday I bought a new carb, started the engine and it's still pumping fuel into the air cleaner. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a intake valve issue, Not seating properly maybe from a worn guide.
    Does it flood just sitting there not running ?

3. lwcmattlifter

from NC

It runs from idle to full throttle.

4. Restrorob

If it doesn't flood fuel while not running I would pull the head off and check the valve seat area on the valve for a groove wore in it, If there is a valve job can be done but the guides must be checked first. Rotate the engine over until each valve is open and grab the head of it and see if you can rock it back and forth in the guide. If the intake guide is wore there is no replacement the best that can be done is a new valve installed and hope that tightens the play up enough to run a little while longer. There is a replacement guide for the exhaust but it requires special tools to replace. Given the fact that it is spitting fuel into the air filter it would be the intake over the exhaust.

Good Luck

5. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Thanks restorob. I looked at the valves today and they look good except there is a lot of carbon buildup. I forgot to mention this engine is on a leaf loader that has 50 hours tops. My dealer wants to pressure test the carb to make sure the needle is seating properly. Is it possible that the fuel pump can over pressurize and make the carb flood?

6. Restrorob

I can't say a fuel pump can't but I've never seen one do it. Most of my past experience with fuel spray while running has been valve related, Be it a worn or pitted face area, Bad guide or even a small piece of carbon stuck on the seat area preventing it from closing all the way. If everything looks fine go ahead and de-carbon everything reassemble and try again.

7. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Ok, looks like it was carbon on the intake valve. I cleaned out the combustion chamber area and the engine runs great. One more question. What is the torque spec for the cylinder head bolts?

8. Restrorob

165 in.lbs and use a crisscross pattern which will work just fine, I have no way to post the correct pattern due to no on line service manuals.

Glad to hear it's running fine for you.
    Take care

9. lwcmattlifter

from NC

Thanks again