briggs carb question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 9, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

MOdel # 253700

I took the carb off today cuz the fuel was leaking right through it, and would drip onto the deck of my kees. took the carb apart thinking debris had gotten stuck in a valve. I cleaned it up with gas, and an old tooth brush, and tested it without the bowl on, as i held the float up, and it didn't leak. so I put it back together, and again is starts leaking. Do you think its a valve problem or maybe the float is off. how do you adjust the float?

carbs are not my thing, i learn as i take them apart. Here's a pic for reference. Any advice on rebuilding this thing, it looks simple enough:confused:

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check to make sure the gasket is in tact around the rim of the bowl. If you tighten the bottom bolt too tight against the bowl, you will ruin the gasket.

If you can stop the flow of gas by manually moving the float, it should work the same with the bowl installed.

(also make sure there is not a hole/crack in the float.)

3. fga

I'm going to check the condition of the float, though i didn't remember seeing any holes or cracks (not that i was looking:eek: ). if you're looking at the pic i posted, it runs to the right, inside the carb and drips through a little drain hole. If i pull the pull start, gas shoots up like a puddle. would the gasket around the bowl have anything to do with that?

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Your float is sticking/ not seating properly. Sounds like a rebuild is in order.. Get the correct kit and clean it good during the rebuild..

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

OK, I thought it was coming out of the bowl. It is the float then. Check for a crack. The float might be filling up with gas when in the bowl, and not 'floating.'

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Note to set float, hold carb upside down with float and needle valve installed. Float should be parallel with carb housing(bowl seat area).

7. fga

thanks guys for the help. I'm going to order the rebuild, its cheap on ebay (f my dealer!)

this is a second part to this question. I haven't been able to start this mower since it was given to me over the winter. I've had a few threads on it trying different things. I now have a new pull start assembly, spark plug, coil, and fresh gas. I have great spark with the spark test. I still can't get it to start. Now I'm up to the carb portion cuz everything else seems to be fine. It wasn't flooding like this until today. I was trying to tune it according the B & S web site, to get it to start, sprayed some starter fluid, and now I'm flooding.....
    Now with the carb flooding like this, it shouldn't start no matter what right? I'm hoping to now fix the carb and get this guy going. is there anything else that would keep this from starting, assuming the carb is freshly rebuilt and I have spark?

8. txlawnking

You need the spark at the correct time. You also need compression. The compression check is easy hook up a gauge and see if it has at least 125 psi pressure after you move the nedle 3 puffs. To check the time, you'd need to pull the flywheel and make sure that the key isn't sheared. ifx the carb first though.. Also if it has a LOT of hrs on it, It isn't uncommon for the throttle shaft to be worn out, That won't make it not run, it just won't run real good... PM me if you need details.. I'm happy to help.

9. txlawnking

Oh wait a minute, I almost forgot that the compression release will fudge a compression test. In that case, If you've done everthing else and it doesn't run, and you still wanna jack with it, pull the head and check out the bore and the valves. If it's gouged up, you may as well get another motor... But seriously, check all of the easy stuff, it probably is the carb keeping it from running. I was just trying to give you a worst case scenario..

10. fga

thanks TX for taking the time. I'm sure you'll be getting a PM.:)