1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs ELS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Sep 8, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed Briggs has 24HP ELS engine. What's up with this engine, is it a Briggs, or a engine from the Mitsubishi or Daihatsu partnerships ?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I think it'a a american vanguard
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To an extent yeah...
    Lot's of the shops here have nicknames for them with vanguard as part of it...

Anyways, here is the deal and I hope I can explain it as well a second time as I did before (can't find the old post)....

Briggs makes a line of I/C and ELS engines. Both are represented on their website but not fully. As in they are not all on the site... not the best of them anyways...

These engines are what "I" call the TRUE Industrial/Commercial and Extended Life Series engines (I/C & ELS). On the outside these engines look pretty much like the I/C, ELS and Intek engines... except all I have ever seen them in is black...

The difference is in the quality of the build and the warranty. The best of the ELS engines carry a 1 year commercial warranty. The best of the I/C engines carry a 2 year commercial warranty. Either one is as good or better than the other brands in my opinion.

The bottom line is that while these engines may look like what you will find on a Lowes/Home Depot lawn tractor other than the color... they are NOT the same engines. Briggs builds these engines to Briggs specifications just for commercial applications. The Inteks and such on homeowner stuff is built to meet the specification of the engine buyer (Murray, MTD, AYP) and to meet their price point per engine on huge orders.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Certainly a good price on the ELS, I see a 26hp..full pressure,V-Twin, 721.00$
  5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The Vanguard are good engine's. Briggs' other engines are an embarrassment total garbage. Not trying to offend anyone but I've given them so many tries and always the same result garbage. Kohler, Kawy and Honda are great engines.JMO

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You stated els engine's carry a one year warranty is that the one on the new scag tiger cub carrying a two year warranty.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Here's the catch though....

Which 'grade' ELS engine is it?
    Commercial or cheapo homeowner?

The ONLY way to tell is to look at the paperwork and personally check the warranty.

At $721 I have to guess it's the one for a lawn tractor.
    But I could be wrong....

Check into the warranty and see.
    If it has the good commercial warranty, I recommend it, if not $721 still ain't bad if you are looking to re-power. I might buy that engine for a re-power situation... but otherwise, I ONLY buy machines with the Briggs with the 2 year Commercial warranty and they have been worth every penny.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I couldnt agree more. My friend (who sells power equipment and a top notch tech) calls them "Briggs and Scrap Iron"
  9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

10. Envy Lawn Service

Say what?... LOL...

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that you have to check the warranty BEFORE you buy to be sure you are getting the good ones. Some have it on the engine itself, others do not and you have to look at the paperwork.

I buy the I/C engine with the 2 year warranty or the Vanguard.

But I would buy an ELS also. Some of those have a 1 year commercial warranty. Some have 2 year commercial warranty.

I'm not sure which ELS they put on that Scag, but I would hope it has the 2 year warranty. Would I buy that Scag if I were in the market? YES!!!