Briggs engine dies

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Oct 5, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Have a briggs 5 Hp on a small ride-on mower starts and runs well but with you engage the blades it loose it power disengage the blades and runs fine again. Any idea's on this one ?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the governor is not working, May need adjusting if that doesn't do it then a governor replacement.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That's what mine did.... found the intake cam lobe worn off. It could'nt even make 3600 with the blades on at WOT

4. Restrorob

Was your engine a Intek by chance ?

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yep.. 14 horse

here's the original postB&S unusual wear?

I'm still kinda pissed that a cam lobes worth of metal was floating around inside my engine with no filter :angry:

Just outta warranty; with no paperwork to show a sell date that is later than manufacture date.

If you think there may be recourse due to more of these popping up, I saved the old cam and have inside engine pictures to show NO sludge

6. Restrorob

I remember that post now, Since Briggs knows of this problem it wouldn't hurt to send them a email and explain the situation to them and let them know you still have the old cam and pictures, You really have nothing to loose. And the serial number doesn't mean that much, There is alot of equipment that sits around for years before being sold so the purchase date is whats important.
    Also if you do email do NOT say anything about commerical use.

lawn6 posted a few weeks ago about a 5hp engine on a small rider and it was a 130902 so I assumed this thread was about the same engine thats why I didn't mention the cam, This series didn't have cam problems and I don't believe a 5hp Intek is built heavy enough for a rider.

Here's a link to email; http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Good luck !