Briggs Intek Using Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BESTYARDS, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BESTYARDS

BESTYARDS LawnSite Member

My INTEK 20 horse YBSXS.7242VF has 122 hours in service. Used oil from day one. I thought it would break in and quit using oil. No such luck. I change oil/filter every 25 hours. Have changed the air filter with brand new three times. Use Briggs filters. Clean air filter about every 10 hours. The engine smokes a little at start and at shut down. No leaks period. Uses half a quart every two hours. My dealer is talking short block! Will Briggs stand good for the repair? Or will I have to hock my firstborn son and eat the repair myself? Could it be something simple like a stuck blowback valve in the head or some such. All replies will be appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs is a good company, When your Dealer's Tech. finds the problem and if it is in fact a defect in material or workmanship Briggs will take care of the repair.

3. BESTYARDS

Restrorob, thanks for the prompt reply. Must aplolgize for entering erroneous model numbers....my bad. I used the numbers listed on a sticker on the side of the engine. Now have found correct numbers on right hand valve cover. 406577 0106E1. From what I have read, looks like this engine is prone to oil consumption. Haven't been able to find a max consumption rate. My dealer says it should not need oil added between oil changes. I'm a fair wrench, so if Briggs doesn't stand good, I will have to try to fix it myself. What would you recommend as a first step in troubleshooting?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As I said Briggs should take care of the problem, But the first thing I would do is perform a cylinder leak-down test. That would tell me the condition of the valves and rings then go from there according to the results.

5. BESTYARDS

Thanks Restorob, I'll be back here Monday. Got a big weekend. Just have to take some extra oil along.