briggs intek vacume fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Aug 18, 2005.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I have a 16 hp briggs intek motor.i need to find a place to get vacume to run the fuel pump.can i pull it from the valve cover?any help would be great.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Although I have never tried this, As long as you tap into the top side closer to the push rod I see no reason it wouldn't work.
    I had the mechanical fuel pump go out on my Kohler Magnum 18 instead of paying $45.00 for a replacement and spending a day and a half to remove the body then remove the engine from the frame to replace it, I bought a $12.00 Briggs impulse pump. Removed the oil fill pipe, Drilled and tapped it and installed a hose fitting. Back up and running in less than a hour.

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

It should work fine. The pump works off the crankcase pressure pulse from the movement of the piston. My 22hp has the pump driven off the #1 cylinder valve cover. It's nothing more than a tube inserted into a gromet.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

thanks Ken and Rob.ill try it.my brother took my dixon mower with out telling me and blew the 16 hp briggs twin that was on it so he gave me the new intek he got.so if it works ill be in good shape.O one more thing i have a 12.5 kohler that has no fire.i got a new coil for it but still no fire.it has no points.i took off the kill wire and still no fire.

5. Restrorob

Post the model and spec. on the Kohler so I can take a look at it. What did you set the coil air gap at ?

Post the numbers on the Briggs also just for the heck of it, I've got a idea !

6. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Here's a scan of the factory manual for the fuel pump location on my 40H777 (22hp.).

[​IMG]

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

ok here is the briggs numbers Model 286h7 Type 0165e1 Code 021113ze then here are the kohler numbers model cv12.5T spec 1252

8. Restrorob

Ok, On the Briggs I thought maybe I could find a different valve cover from another spec. number with the impulse tube already in it, But no luck and the twin that CCWKen posted is a different cover also. You can go to a Briggs dealer and purchase part# 694000 impulse hose and drill a hole in your cover to fit this hose and call it a day.

As for your Kohler there isn't much to the ignition on it !
    Make sure your coil to flywheel air gap is set at .010 and you didn't say where you unplugged the kill wire but leave it off the coil and check it again with a screw driver in the wire instead of the plug, That would eliminate everything. If still no spark I would have to say you got a defective coil.

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

ok i set the gap at 0.10 and the old girl fired right up.I have hose and a pump so i just needed to know where to get vacuum from.hey do you know any thing about the old chevy fuel pumps?

10. Restrorob

Well I was a Auto Service Technician for over 12yrs. before getting into the lawn and garden service field, And right now I'm in the process of doing a body off frame up restoration and customizing my 74 chevy truck to enter in shows. So shoot with the question and I'll see what I can do.
    Btw, Glad to hear you got the Kohler going.