briggs part number??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by npilcher, Dec 30, 2005.

1. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

i have an 11hp briggs single cyl.

model-256412
    type-0153
    serial-970206yd

trying to find a part number for an electric starter to fit this engine.
    Will a starter from an 8,10,or 12hp work?
    Its going on a generator I recently bought but it only has pull start. ive already put on a different flywheel with a ring gear. It runs excellent, do these older engines hold up fairly well with maintenance. Had to use it to power my shop with a freezer in it until I was able to replace a broken underground electrical wire. Ran 2 days straight only stopping to fill up with gas-no problems.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm, now you have got to get a charging system for the battery strapped on the engine I believe, is it that hard to start?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

One can get quite a few starts out of a fully charged battery before recharging so a stator really isn't necessary.

5. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

not hard to start at all, just doing it because....
    Thanks for the link

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It is going on a generator he says so he does not need all the charging system you would need on a lawn mower. All he has to do is get a small battery charger that plugs into an electric outlet. When the generator is running and putting out 120 VAC just plug the battery charger in and and you are readly to go. I have done this to over a dozen generators that had bad or no charging system for the battery and never had any problem. I do recommend using an automatic type battery charger. And when you are not using the battery charger for the generator you can use it to recharge your car battery or riding mower battery. Most people already have a car battery charger at there house any way.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Haha, dont I feel dumb, its strapped to a generator, lol.