Briggs Quantum Carb Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Saxman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

I have a 5HP Quantum, the engine had not been run in quite awhile. I took the carb off and it had lots of nasty stuff in it and the needle valve was stuck. I got a carb kit and cleaned the carb up inside and out and installed a new needle and seat. The engine runs good now but the carb runs over when the engine is shut off. I presume the float is not set correctly. How do you set the float on this carb? The float is plastic so I don't see how you can bend the part that touches the needle valve. Oh I forgot to say that I checked the float and it "floats".

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no adjustment on the plastic float, But I have taken a contractors heat gun and warmed the float hanger area and bent it a little with pliers and cooled it in water while holding it in that position.

3. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Is there any trick to these carbs? Ever have run over like this? I never had this problem with a carb before

4. Restrorob

Not really any tricks, Either it works or it doesn't, Only had maybe 2 do this and the heat gun deal took care of it. I don't even fool with them anymore if they are gummed up, By the time I get a kit and add labor to rebuild it a new one can be bought and have no hassles.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What does that kitting and labor thing usually run? I guess you have a shop, so I would be asking about at your shop.

6. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

where can I get a new carb, that sounds like the way I want to go?

7. Restrorob

I don't own a shop but I've been working for the same shop for 14 1/2 years.
    We have a $50.00 a hour labor rate. There is a flat rate of one hour to remove a carb. clean and install the rebuild kit reinstall on the unit and test run. It can be higher if for instance if the carb. has a integrated fuel pump or the intake must be removed to remove the carb. as on a Briggs Vanguard.
    This carb. in question I would guess the kit at $8 to $15 and $50 labor, Some small push mower carbs. start at $35.00 and go up to $70.00.
    The main reason I rather install a new one instead of rebuilding a old gummed up one is; A few I did do still had a passage inside I couldn't get to open up and after spending the time and kit price still didn't run right and the kit and time was lost when a new one had to be installed.
    I have a good one in the shop right now, It's a Wisconsin Robin on a Gen-Set been sitting 6yrs. totally gummed up. The kit for that one is $78 and change and the mount and air filter gaskets are separate at another $8 and change, Add $50.00 labor thats around $138.00 a new carb. is $160.00..... 138.00 is way too much to eat so if the customer wants me to repair his unit he gets a new carb.

8. Restrorob

9. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

10-4 thanks Rob, sounds like a good idea. New carb on the way