briggs repair ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 4speed, Jul 29, 2005.

1. 4speed

4speed LawnSite Member

Looking for a quick fix on my mower! Fried the alternator, stator has one wire, spare stator in garage has 2 wires. can i use this?

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We need make, model, and preferably pics to help you solve your problem.

Some stators will work some won't. Take a couple of pics of the engine and both stators with the wires and plugs clearly showing and post them.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it can be used, Just plug the charge wire on the unit to the leg on the stator that has the in-line diode and don't worry about the other leg.
    Do not cut the plug off to wire, You must have the diode.

4. 4speed

4speed LawnSite Member

Thanks restrorob, I was pretty sure it would work. Now if I can just find a few minutes for reassembly :dizzy:

5. 4speed

4speed LawnSite Member

I keep burning out the fuse when I try to start the engine. Is the diode burnt out? Can I get a replacement? This is a B&s 193707-0314

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If the diode was burned out it would cause the stator to fry just like the old one. My guess would be a short in the unit somewhere, For starters LOL the stator wires run behind the starter, Take the starter back off and make sure you didn't pinch them when putting it back on. I have seen this many times in the past. I have done this swap quite a few times and had no problems and one is on my own unit. If you have a multimeter you can put it on ohms and touch both stator wires and it should be a closed circuit reverse the leads and it should be open circuit, Then touch each lead with one probe and ground the other it should read open circuit if it is closed citcuit the stator is shorted out and needs replacing.
    Hope this helps.

7. 4speed

4speed LawnSite Member

I guess I fried this one also,because I can unplug it and run off the battery with no problem. Ill test it later,or possibly tomorrow.(Mom just called with a water leak so I have to be a plumber first) Thanks again!