briggs ='s not much respect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bagit, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I find it interesting when I read in a post. "Yea, the dealer told me we don't like briggs". Or hear it from a salesman. "Them briggs just don't hold up like a Kaw or Kohler". They are pushing there product foremost i know,but I think another reason is that they are strong engines w/ proper maint. Hence, the dealer may not see that engine in for a major repair.. Heck, aren't they the easiest to get parts for. Almost every brand of mower has a Briggs somewhere on the assembly line. Does kohler make racing engines? Briggs does.. The same technology is going into the Briggs as is the other engines. I'm not a basher of any, I just think Briggs needs some much overdue respect.. I would like to see all the companies that have a Briggs stand up and post about it! :usflag:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Briggs got a name as a cheap homeowner type engine and it has been difficult for them to shake that stereotype, however they are coming out with better commercial type products and making headway in the market.
    The 31 horse is a damn good engine so far.

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Most underated Motor on the market. That new 31 hp unit is a BEAST!!!

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Briggs Vanguards are good engine's manufactored by , if I'm not mistaken in a partnership or alliance with Dihatsu and Mitsubishi.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yes on the Diahatsu, not sure about the mitsubishi thing.........

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a kohler in my new broadmoor, but everything else has been briggs. my 21" mower has a 6.0 HP briggs
    my old murray work tractor has a 12HP briggs
    My previous simplicity regent had a 14HP briggs vanguard
    my chipper has a briggs
    and my presure washer has a briggs
    I like the quality of my kohler enginge, but the briggs engine will last just as long when taken care of.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't use the machine much, Briggs is a great engine. The Vanguards by Diahtsu are good motors, the ones by Briggs are awful. And yes, I wish I was wrong. Not for commercial use. I tried everything great maintenance, synthetic oil. If they are used a lot they crumble. I wish they would just copy Kawy or Kohler:hammerhead:

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard that the briggs-Diahatsu is part of the toyota group.

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i heard that too

10. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

I'm going to be very very very very very honest. Our company has over 70 vehicles in its fleet, all american made. My personal car is GM.

We have newer (and older -- talking 15 years) bobcats with kohler and briggs engines, and newer (and older) walkbehinds and ride-ons with the jap engines.

I talked to our in-house mechanic the other day about purchasing a new piece of equiptment that, in its previous models, used a briggs engine but now uses honda. I ask him his opinion -- as he works 55 hours a week on these damn things -- as to if the honda was as good as the briggs and if he could service the Honda. His reply?

"I'm sure I can...but...I never really have to ever touch the honda engines because they don't break."

So I asked, "What of the briggs and kohler?" -- he told me he's so used to working on them that he knows them like the back of his hand....

Six sigma took american manufacturing to the next level...maybe briggs can take a page out of the jap book and bring pride back to america.

"They just don't make 'em like they used to" -- goes for EVERYTHING.