Briggs & Strat Vangaurd

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WAYNE, Apr 21, 2000.

1. WAYNE

WAYNE LawnSite Member

I have a Graveley 50 inch walkbehind with a Bigggs Vangaurd 16 hp......I have had a lot of trouble with this engine.....Does anyone know of a compatible motor that would fit????....They told me at the Gravely headquarters that I would have to change the wiring harness if I went with Kohler.....Thinking about a Kawasaki.....

2. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF THAT VANGUARD...I ONLY NEED PARTS GIVE ME SPECIFIC PROBLEMS AND I MIGHT BE WILLING TO TAKE THAT MOTOR OFF YOUR HANDS.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Wayne,I have 3 of them and have had great luck with them,from my experience Id take one over a Kohler anyday,the only problems Ive had are carburation hiccups once in a while.What happenned to yours?I'm interested in it too-if your set on getting rid of it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wayne,<br>I am in the process of just breaking one in...any info on your problems that may be of help would be appreciated.<p>As for your question, I cant give you any help...sorry. I can tune a piano but cant tuna fish.<p>Best of luck

5. Techumseh OHV with altnernator. recoil and electric start.<p>12.5 hp $370<p>16 hp $530<p>But if you want an real good engine try<br>a 20hp Kohler v-twin for $1350.

6. WAYNE

WAYNE LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding !! But I want to keep the motor....overhaul in the future......From the symptoms it acts like the head gasket is ready to go.....plus it is constantly fouling the plug in the right cylinder......carb was just overhauled......had a tiny pinhole in the float that just about drove me to drinking trying to find....So I just want to drop a new motor on because I cannot afford the downtime of overhaul.....But if I change my mind I will let you know

7. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

GO WITH THE 19 HP KAW.AT TULSA ENGINE WAREHOUSE<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

8. lakegastonlawn

lakegastonlawn LawnSite Member

check out smallenginewarehouse.com

9. WAYNE

WAYNE LawnSite Member

I checked out the small engine wharehouse.....Man,,,,They have some great prices.....That was lots of help....Might just go back with Briggs at that price......Gonna be around 700.00 w/shipping....Thanks guys

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My friend has a vanguard 16Hp with 5200 hrs i=on it,its still strong,no leaks or excessive blowby,I think for the money,they are the best value out there,the early ones had headgasket and valve problems,not unlike Kohler,but I think theve worked them out,and you get 2 year warranty on a new one.for 700 bucks it doesnt pay to rebuild yours,the new one may have updates as well,good luck<br><p>----------<br>John D<br>