Briggs & Stratton 14HP OHV Specificaitons?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Al_Barrs, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Al_Barrs

Al_Barrs LawnSite Member

Briggs & Stratton ID Numbers:
    Model #261777
    Type: 0124-01
    Code: 90052933

:help: What is the armature-magneto gap for the above engine?
    What is included in a complete ignition system parts replacement for this engine?
    Does this engine have points or what?

Thanks,
    Al

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gap should be .020" .

The armature really is the only thing that would need to be replaced unless you want to replace the magnetron unit, which is highly unlikely to go bad. Before you do anything though, check your flywheel key. It could have sheared, causing your engine to lose timing.

None of the Briggs OHV's have breaker points.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Are you sure its 0.20?

My manual for the L head engines says 0.06-0.10 for the distance between the ignition module and flywheel. I don't know why it would be any different for an OHV engine.

4. Al_Barrs

Al_Barrs LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!

I have another question. I ordered a new Ammeter to replace the one on my Craftsman II 46" lawn tractor, but it doesn't hook up like the original ammerer. The old one had a circular metal tube that the wire ran through. This new one has all plastic on the back, but no tube and I don't know how to route the wire throught to ensure it works. :help: Anyone have a schematic or a drawing of this routing? The Sears (???) number is 90829. Thanks!!! If you want to e-mail it my e-mail address is albarrs@wfeca.net...

Thanks again...

5. Smalltimer1

My Briggs CD manual says .020" for all ignition related components, regardless of points or solid state ignition.

6. Smalltimer1

Is it a generic Craftsman ammeter?

With those the wire wraps around the spark plug and uses the induced current from the ignition system to keep time.

7. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

"Wraped around the spark plug wire" .... ????
    What kind of "time" does your Amp meter keep?

If it is indeed an ammeter, there should be two clips on the back that holds the reg-to-battery wire. There may not be a "connection". The meter has an induction loop built in and "reads" the amps by being near the wire. The wire just passes along the back of the meter.

8. Smalltimer1

The cheap ones that Sears sells you have to wrap the lead around the top of the spark plug, and it counts time by the duration of the induced current produced by the firing of the spark plug. It's an ammeter and a tiny tach combined.

9. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Have a part number?

You're gonna hafta splain dat one to me.

How does the meter get charge/discharge amps from the secondary ignition pulse? That will work the tach but where's the amp induction come from? The ignition mag is separate from the charging mag.

10. Smalltimer1

Ooops made a little mistake there. I meant their hourmeter does, I forgot the ammeter measured current in amps. All the equipment with ammeters that I have are crap.