briggs & stratton 6.5 4 cycle engine lawn mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jackie robert, May 4, 2008.

1. jackie robert

jackie robert LawnSite Member

I took the muffler and the thermostat off of my Craftsman lawn mower and I can't remember how I got the thermostat off. I have a manual with the part number but it does not show me where to put it. ATTACH]107932

Attached Files:

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

That engine doesn't have a thermostat.
    What's the actual part name/# from the IPL?

OOPS! I guess it does.
    New part!
    Does that hook to the carb choke?

3. jackie robert

I'm not sure, I took the muffler off and I can't remember taken off that part. I was up late and I just don't remember. I guess I should get some sleep before I start taken things apart.:confused:

4. jackie robert

I really need to put this lawn mower back together. :eek:

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I have`nt seen this kind of part yet. Not sure what it does.

Looks like it`s mounted between the muffler and engine, exhaust gasket style. Probably has bi-metal strip or spring which controls choke position :

............. or does something else................

If you could send some pictures of the thermostat (if that`s a proper name), exhaust side of engine and muffler, someone might help you.

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

It's new to me too!
    I can only assume this is one of the new Auto Choke carbs and that the linkage hooks up to the choke somehow.

Sorry I can't help!

7. jackie robert

The Thermostat Part #291-790830 goes on the back of the muffler between the
    Muffle, Part #300-790828 and the Bushing-Valve Guide, Part# 871-262001. I attached a diagram and the pictures are on page 2 and 4. I installed the Thermostat I need to know if the top part of the thermostat that standing straight up attaches to anything.:confused::confused:

8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I think I have it figured out.

The thermostat thing must hook in the air vane which leads to the other engine side and engages the choke.

Man, making this picture was like sooooo much not worth the effort, so please be careful next time you disassemble stuff.

autock.JPG

9. jackie robert

:):dancing::clapping: YOU ROCK!! Now that's what I call creative. How did you make that diagram? I spent an hour trying to copy one of the diagrams I was talking about and gave up.
    I installed the thermostat and it looks just like your diagram. The thermostat stands straight up and the air vent has a latch that the thermostat stands against and it does move back and forth. I'm just not sure if your suppose to attach it somehow to the latch are just leave it like it is. The thermostat has a loop at the top and I was thinking that loop was there for a reason but lately my thinking has not been so good. What do you think?

Thanks,
    You are one Hot Creative Man that Rocks;)

10. jackie robert

Just wanted you to know my lawn mower is up and running! In fact, I don't think it ran this good when I bought it. I ended up taking the whole thing apart. Don't worry, I won't be disassembling anything else any time soon.
    *trucewhiteflag*:dancing:Thanks for the help.