Briggs & stratton billy goat loader white smoke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dvblandscaping, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dvblandscaping

dvblandscaping LawnSite Member

I am thinking of purchasing a leaf loader second-hand.

It is a 16hp Briggs Billygoat leaf loader, 2000 model, used for 2 years, then sat until now.

The owner says is blows white smoke out the exaust. He says he cleaner out the muffler and it still blows smoke. There is no oil leaking around the head, he says he thinks it is a ring or a rod problem.

What would you guys pay for this loader? and How much do you think it will cost to fix the problem?

Any suggestions as to what the problem actually is? I just dont want to get dicked over here...

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

put straight 30weight in it and it should go away

3. dvblandscaping

what is that straight 30 weight? your username has a spelling error in it.

I dont think a fuel additive will fix this problem.

4. KGR landscapeing

Its normal oil if u use a mixed weight oil it can be pickd up by the breather and then sent to the carb.which is y u get white smoke burning oil not alot of oil just enough to change the properties. and i know my used name is spelld with an E because then its easyer for me to remember and get on here

5. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming the oil is not overfilled, I think the next best guess is a blown head gasket. Relatively minor repair.

6. dvblandscaping

what are other common causes of white smoke? Could it jsut be a dirty carb? I need to know the best and worst case scenerio.

How much should I pay for this loader?

7. dvblandscaping

Ive got him down to 625. What do you all think?

8. KGR landscapeing

buy it briggs usally run for ever. thou i dont know the price on a new one.

9. dvblandscaping

I boughit it. Got him down to 425. Even if I replace the engine, it should be worth it.

It is in excellent condition, but wont start. It starts for about 10 seconds with lots of white smoke and then shuts off. There is gas in the oil too. Lost of crap running down into the exhaust.

Any ideas now?

10. KGR landscapeing

change the oil and put a fuel shut off in the line between the tank and the carb. the float is probably sticking and then if the intake valve is open the gas and oil mix so to prevent that u turn the fuel off. had a lawn tractor did the same dumb thing