Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dropdown3, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Dropdown3

Dropdown3 LawnSite Member

With the help of this website and reading countless posts for the past 2-months, I'm leaning towards purchasing a Ferris IS1500 48" ZTR. With that said, two engine options are available for the 48" IS1500 in 2012:

1. 26 gross HP B&S Commercial Turf Series
    2. 18.5 gross HP Kawasaki FS600V**

I'm not a B&S fan, the Commercial Turf Series is relatively new, and I think the 18.5 HP Kawasaki may be a bit under powered.

To my knowledge, the FS series Kawasaki are rated at 500 hours. Anyone know how many hours the Commercial Turf Series B&S is rated at?

I found one post on Lawnsite that wasn't all too helpful.

Thoughts on this engine?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

While I'm not up on the exact hour specs of the Kawi, I'd be highly surprised to not see it go waaay beyond that with proper maintenance. If you are a homeowner, it should provide enough power for your needs depending on what your turf conditions are.

The new B&S ELS engines are nothing more than their old Intek engines which were not commercial grade in any way. When properly taken care of they'll last a good while, but would definitely not be my choice. On top of that, the actual HP of the B&S is going to be well below the gross rating in actual use. The Kawi is rated by the new system of testing standards, and is listed in their critical power series engines. That means it will actually provide at least 98% of the rated HP, and be much closer to the B&S than it first appears.

3. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

4. Dropdown3

Thanks for the links. I have been on both of these sites and the B&S site leaves a lot to be desired. I'm leaning toward the smaller Kawasaki or 2011 IS1500 with 1,000 hour rated FX series Kawasaki. My options are limited as I want to stay with the 48" deck.

Here is HP/torque graph on the 26HP Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series engine: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jkowsNDvrS8lFix2.pdf

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Thhat graph is in the link that I posted, but you do have to do a little clicking here and there on B&S's site to find anything of value. Maybe they're trying to hide something LOL.

The graph only shows HP, while Kawi shows both in their chart. The FX series are excellent engines, and will last well over 2000-3000 hours of use when maintained properly. Most of the commercial mowers have either FX, Kohler Command Pro, or Vanguard engines.

The 1500 with the Kawi is the one I'd choose out of those you mentioned. Why do you need to stay with a 48" deck, gates or something? What kind of prices have you gotten so far?

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Not calling you out, but where did you read this? Can anyone corroborate this about FS series KAWI engines?

7. GoldStarMowing

GoldStarMowing LawnSite Member

I'd give the Kawi my vote.

I still have a 2003 John Deere Lx280/48" with an 18hp Kawi. The tractor rolled over 1500 hours last year which for a "residential" grade mower is some good use. The only thing that isn't original are all the belts and the battery. I'm not sure how many hours the engine on my old Deere is rated for but it has been a fantastic motor. My 920a has since taken over the majority of the mowing duties. Still nice to keep the Lx280 around for tricky hills since it's much more stable than a ztr. My.02

8. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Get the Kawasaki.

9. Dropdown3

http://www.outdoorpowerequipment.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?nm=News+and+Features&AudID=CC89A83758524B50A259F8625D73475B&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=893880EBE2784954A424CA3585ACE453

From link above:
    "New engine offerings from Kawasaki, available in both FS and FX models, give buyers a range of choices, depending on eventual application. FX Series engines are certified for CARB Tier III and EPA Phase III emission standards for 1,000 hours of operation. FS Series engines are certified for CARB Tier III and EPA Phase III emission standards for 500 hours of operation. Within those categories, buyers have a choice of horsepower output to “size” engines for best equipment performance. For example, FS/FX600V engines deliver up to 20 hp. at 3,600 rpm and develop a maximum torque of 35.5 foot-pounds at 2,400 rpm. Both the FS600V and the FX600V are 2-cylinder overhead v-valve forced air-cooled engines, with V-twin cylinders and a 603-cc (36.8-cubic-inch) displacement."

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

GIE+EXPO 2009 Indoor Booth #1064

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for posting that, Dd3.
    Not sure they're referring to the 'life' of an engine, but rather to emissions.
    Appreciate your efforts, kind sir.