1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs, Stratton Intek Gold

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Terry45, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Terry45

Terry45 LawnSite Member

Hi, Is the Briggs, Stratton Intek Gold a good motor? This motor will be in a 26 HP in a Sears riding mower.

Thanks, Terry
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what it will be used for. Are you planning on running a mowing business with it or just cutting your own lawn? If it is your own lawn, it will most likely be o.k.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As maniac said it depends, For homeowner use you will get many years use out of the Intek. However for Commercial use the Briggs Vanguard engine is the better choice from that company.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For reisdential use it should be fine. Their good engines. It would probibly run a long time if used commercially but the Craftsman tractor wouldn't hold up to that.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The intek might be a top moter,but not for me we are sold on the vanguards scag is putting a 24 horse power intek on there tiger cub i am still worried of the long levity.
  6. Terry45

Terry45 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information and this riding mower will be used by a home owner. He now is looking into what is best motor that can be put on a riding mower. Were can he get recall and ratings information on motors at?

Thanks, Terry.
  7. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Inteks have been fairly problematic for the Craftsman tractors this past year. I would say spend the extra cash and get the Kohler.

*trust me, I work for Sears*
  8. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with redneck. I would stay away from the Intek. If you get one anyway, check into improving the air filtration system and watch for oil usage or smoking. These engines are prone to leaking head gaskets that let the engine keep good compression but leak oil past the oil return hole into the cylinder or intake tract.

Good luck,