Briggs & Stratton "Quality"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jet boater, May 21, 2001.

1. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Tearing down a 6 HP B&S off of a Crapsman push mower for a friend tonight.

Compression was around 40 PSI and the thing wouldn't start even with ether. I figured a stuck valve or broken spring. Got that far and they were OK.

Got ready to split the crankcase open and turned it up on it's side to drain the oil and something rattled inside. As I drained the oil a 1" long bolt fell out of the oil fill hole!!

Went ahead and split the case and two teeth were sheared off of the (plastic) timing gear that is connected to the (plastic!!) valve cams. Problem found. I think that damn bolt was in there when they built the engine and it finally worked it's way into the valve cam gear. It was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also noted there are no lower end bearings in this B&S. Just the aluminum case journal type "bearing" that the drive shaft goes through. Wow! I don't know how these things hold together.

I hope I can at least buy the replacement gear/camshaft assembly in metal, but I doubt it.

No question for anybody here...just postin' for general knowledge of what's inside a B&S IF you elect to purchase one.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I just replaced the starter pulley on my MTD tiller. please, no crank comments, it's my personal garden tiller, not meant for professional use. anyway, it was plastic. lasted four years, BUT, is hardly ever used. I expected better (at least better plastic).

GEO

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

There is a reason that premium equipment does not offer briggs & scrapiron engines as an option.

There is a reason that Honda, Kawi and Kohler engines are usually several hundred dollar upgrades over the basic price-leader splash-oiled b&s model.

4. steve

steve LawnSite Member

:blob3:
    Briggs & Stratton has a variety of engines from the ElCheapo push mower market to the Commercial/Industriel market. When you get to the Vanguard Series they are a high quality piece.
    :blob3:

3lcgas.jpg

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Briggs Vanguards are as good as any lawnmower engine on the market. Ive got a 16hp Vanguard with over 4000hrs its a 92 and have had to only a regulator and plugs. You say commercial mowers don't use them,,not so Scags Sabre Tooth has the 31hp Vanguard. Sure the low end of there products are far from the top,but the Vanguards are a whole different ballgame they to are made by the Japaneese,and are a top of the line engine. Marks Mowing Service

6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

did ya know that kawi uses plastic cams also

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sorry but cant be knocking the briggs engines.
    i havnt been able to wear one out in 25 yrs .
    if i put all the hrs on it.at one time they made 5 different grades of engine.that may have changed now.
    should explain the equipment wore out around the motors.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed two Wacker rollers at an equipment expo, one with a Honda and one with a Vanguard. Mercedes Vs Hyundai. They both may last 10 years but one will be an easier ten years to handle. You hardly knew the Honda was even running compared to the BS engine.

9. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Agreed that there are some high end B&G engines out there.

I've had some even the cheapee B&S's last me a while on old mowers.

I think though the "guts" of this lower-end engine has been designed by the accountants at B&S, not the engineers.

Of course, this engine failure also got the help of the "dis-gruntled" employee that donated the extra bolt to the crankcase during assembly.

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt mind a vanguard on my toro ztr. The vanguard engines are the most quit smooth running engines that ive used.