Briggs & Stratton; thumbs up or down..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonathanone, Jan 17, 2011.

1. jonathanone

jonathanone LawnSite Member
    from Ct

Just how good (or bad) are the upper model B/S engines:Vanguard and ELS/Professional, my experience with Vanguard has been less than impressive but everyone is entitled to make a mistake or two.
    The Company still, as far as I can see, refuses to adopt a true commercial air filter/cleaner, does that really say it all ??

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have run several mowers that used the Briggs Vanguard engine and I have never had any problems at all. The Vanguard IMO is right up there with Kohler and Kaw. engines and I have put thousands of hours on the Vanguards I have had. I think proper maintenance is more important than engine brand.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I like the vanguard engines but thats about it. I owned an ELS engine (actually 2 but one was replaced under warranty). The ELS engine seemed to not run as smoothly as other engines I have used. Personally, I don't see how or why the ELS engines are rated for commercial use. I did like the Intek series engines though.

I'd really like to see the canister air fliters installed on these units and not have the standard paper ones. I know the smaller hp enignes never have the canister air filters on them, but once you get into the 20hp+, I think they should come on them. At least on the vanguard engines. Those standard paper air filters get plugged up so fast that you have to clean them at least once a day during dusty conditions.

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

So far with my 32 hp vanguard, 500+hrs., I would say they are better than kawi and kohler. Much quieter and less pollution. Just as efficient or better on fuel. And the vanguards have the exact same air filter/cleaner as the rest so I 'm not sure what you are talking about there.

5. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Same here. I have 3 of the 35HP Vanguards on TT's. Quieter, smoother. Avg 1.6 gph vs. around 2 gph or more on similar hp Kawi's and Kohlers. Little over 800 hours is the highest of the 3 machines.

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's how I view it:
    Briggs (non-Vanguard)= Ford
    Kawasaki=Toyota
    Honda=Honda
    Kohler=Nissan
    Robin/Subaru=Hyundai
    Vanguards are made in Japan. They are a great motor.
    Briggs and Stratton should be ashamed of themselves for producing Garbage I know they can do better. If US companies did what they were capable of we'd be world leaders.

7. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

thumbs down wayyyy down on the els series

8. ratfink

ratfink LawnSite Member

Vanguards are excellent engines and up there with anything on the market. ELS is for the most part is a Intek with a better oil filter and better air filter.

9. ratfink

ratfink LawnSite Member

Some are made in Japan (mainly the V twins), Some are made in China (mainly small Horizontal shafts) and the rest in the USA.

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Bad analogy, Ford is doing very well in the reliability in the last 5+ years. They are right up there with the best. Toyota actually has sign of going down. Hyundai are getting better and better.

It should be analogus to Crysler. AND no, all American auto company are not the same. Ford beat the other two by quite a bit as shown consistantly in the Consummer Reports and JD Power and even on the news.