Briggs & Stratton Vanguard vs Intek???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOJO111, Aug 2, 2004.

1. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Just curios as to the diferance between the vanguard and the Intek engines:confused: any thoughts, and I'm not looking for opinions on other engines. I have Honda, Kawasaki and B&S and they are all good makes. Just like to know the diferance between
    the vanguard and Intek thanks.:D
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference.. Lots. one is made in the US one is made in Japan.. The vanguard ( Japanese ) is a commercial grade engine, the intek for the most part isn't... for more details go to B&S's website.. Lots more there...
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a 16HP Vanguard V-Twin on a mower that I bought new in 1993 and it is still on the trailer every single day and gets uses about 20 hours every week and it has never, ever missed a beat.
  4. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I run both engines. Txlawnking is right. There is a big difference.The Vanguard is a very durable commercial grade engine. The Intek is made by B&S and is a pretty good engine but they tend to smoke on startup. They say that is normal. I have never had to make any adjustments to the Vanguard but have to make occaisional valve adjustments to the Intek when it gets hard to start. I used to be a big Kohler fan but these 2 engines have been very durable.
  5. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. Have not seen to many vanguard motors down hear more Intek as far as B&S goes and of course
    Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler. Just got to keep that maintenance up:D :D