1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs & Stratton??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Feb 18, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Are the big B&S Vanguards that good? For years I've only had Kawasaki's, Kohler's and some small Hondas. Now it seems some of the big names in mowers are only using B&S to get over 30hp. I might be getting a 72" this spring and of course I want big power. I've never said B&S and dependability in the same sentence but that was years ago. I love my Kawasaki's but right now, my only way to 30 plus hp seems to be with B&S.

By the way, any 72" guys out there with 27 -29 hp? I can find Kaw and Kohler (especially EFI) in those ranges but are you happy with that power? Thanks.

Diesels are just too dang heavy for that option.:confused:

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs vanguards are top, they are made by daihaitsu
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 72" Z with a 35 hp B&S. I love it except for the fact it is loud as all hell. Plenty of power too.
  4. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought Briggs Vanguards were mitsubishi, at least the smaller ones.
  5. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

a dixie chopper xtreme has 33 hp and comes with turf tires i have a diesel 72 its heavy but i love it holds a bank very well
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would want my 60" deck to be in that range, or even higher.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The 33 hp on the Dixie Chopper Xtreme is a Generac Guardian engine which is a top notch engine also for big power.
  8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

awesome motors but kawi is my first choice!
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

There's no replacement for horsepower. I have to admit though, my 26hp liquid-cooled Kaw does great on my 60" SuperZ. If only (how many times have we said those two words?) Kawasaki would go EFI or liquid-cooled over 30 hp.
  10. nmi007

nmi007 LawnSite Member

van guard engine first came out for rv generators in1980 built by generac & up grade for there own use in 1999 longest run air cooled engine check the history & now dixie chopper has them exclusive for there mower only with 4000 rpm