Briggs throttle backs off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeffyr, Nov 10, 2002.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,

I have an 8 horse little wonder push blower with a briggs vanguard on it. It always starts and runs great, but when I rev it up to full throttle it slowly backs itself down to about halfway, unless I keep on top of the throttle lever. If I keep my hand on the throttle lever it is fine. Anyone know what's up with it ? I haven't recently changed anything on it (excluding the oil of course :rolleyes: )

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

The throttle plate gets loose at the pivot point and vibration backs it off. Off the top of my head its Jerry Rig something or buy a new throttle plate
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My 16 hp on my 48" hydro did that when it was brand new, it would back down 2-400 rpm's. Then it quit doing it, I thought I would have to replace it. Now with well over 100 hrs on it it still stays wide open.
  4. Most of the throttle levers are kept in place with a rivet. Take apart and re-tighten rivet with punch and hammer.
    Or like ksland said replace part-just worn and vibration moves it. Probably around $10.
  5. jeffyr

Thanks for the help. I'll look into a new throttle plate.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We've had that problem with a variety of makes and models of blowers. Our "high-tech" solution is simply to put a bungy cord on the throttle control to keep it revved up. I've tried tightening, re-bolting, re-riveting, etc. but the bungy cord has always worked and it quick and cheap!
  7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Little Wonder blowers (8 & 11hp) and have had that same problem for the past year or so with them. I brought them down to my mechanic to see what he thought. He knew what the problem was instantly. Down on the side of the motor where the throttle cable meets the carb you'll see a wing-nut in line with the throttle cable. All you have to do is tighten that & that will eliminate the backing off problem. Good luck
  8. jeffyr

I tried the wingnut, and it makes it better when it is tighter, but also makes the throttle cable too difficult to move. I will have to look further when things slow down. Maybe the friction washer on that wingut is worn ? I'll post if I find an easy fix.

The throttle plate seems tight also.

9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happens to my 8 hp Briggs Little Wonder blower. I use a bungy cord also.
  10. jeffyr

I am making use of the bungee for now. But this bugs me. My thatcher with a 5hp briggs does the same thing. :angry: