Briggs Twin Vangaurd - need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi - trying to troubleshoot a problem for a buddy (over the phone). He has a Briggs Vangaurd twin 17hp. We've isolated the problem to one cylinder that does not fire. He replaced the coil and has also replaced what I believe to be a spark regulator that each cylinder/coil has. The cylinder still has no spark. Now he's headed to the parts store to replace a part referred to in the parts manual as the "alternator" (located underneath the flywheel with leads that run to each of the 2 spark regulators).
    I'm skeptical that this could be the problem - as I would think if this part were bad, there would be no spark in either cylinder. At any rate, any Briggs guys out there have any other ideas? Thanks - trying to get this guy back up and running (he's currently borrowing my back-up machine).

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I havn't seen a alternator yet that has anything to do with the ignition system. Has he checked for spark with the kill lead removed from the affected coil ? The kill lead harness is a Y shape and has two diodes in line of it, One of these blows and could kill the spark to that coil. Test this kill lead harness with a multimeter set on ohm's, One test lead on each end of the harness there should be continuity one way then reverse the leads and no continuity the other. If bad replace the kill lead harness. This would be my guess.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

restrorob - thanks. I was hoping you would see this thread and respond. I've gotten some really good tips and advice from you and your posts - you really know what you're talking about (and I knew you had lots of Briggs experience).

My friend called today and wasn't able to fix it himself. So, he's gonna drop it off at my shop on Monday and I'll get a chance to see the unit - if I get hung up, I'll post back. Thanks again for the help.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No problem Jason, I'm here 3 times a day every day. Post anytime......