briggs vangaurd vs. kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatguy28, Nov 11, 2012.

1. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

i was just wondering whats better and more reliable and why? :weightlifter:
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a Kawi guy but vanguards are good.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have had several vanguards & really liked them ,especially a 35h big block.
    Got a 29 h kaw did not like it at all , blew at 663hrs Kaw replaced it and the new engine is really good. Also haye a 38h Kohler i dont care much for. Always used alittle oil, lots of gas surges & smokes on start up. Have had a couple of efi kohlers ,awsome motors.
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Vanguards are the best carburetored gasoline engines in the mower market, and it not something you can define, you've got to operate both to see, hear, and feel the difference. No carburetor type engine comes close to comparing with a fuel injected engine, everything about the injected engine is far superior, and I run both so have a good comparison.
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You did not ask this question.
    I am in complete denial.
  6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

My 14hp Kaw is nearly service free, So to speak. In the 7 years I have had it i have replaced 1 spark plug and 2 air cleaners. A regular oil and filter change is standard. it take being left outside in the weather as good or better than the vanguard. It starts better than any motor I have given its application. One pull to start is its big asset. yes Vanguard will start fine. But the kaw is just dependable, I don't use my walk-behind that much but when I do it is nice to know it will start.

The water drain on the Kaw carb is nice and easy to keep moisture free.
  7. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Man i did a post not to long ago and it seemed newer kawasaki engines have had lots of problems..
    Posted via Mobile Device