Briggs Vanguard, oh no

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mopar4u, Oct 11, 2004.

1. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Put a briggs 14 hp v twin ohv onto an older John Deere rider. Had it running fine. Drive belt snapped and wrapped around pulleys and main shaft. Put a new belt on, fired it up ran for about 2 minutes and it died on its own. Put a wrench on the flywheel nut and it was very hard to turn. After messing with it for a while (turning the nut back and forth) it was loose again. Fired it up, ran for about 2 minutes and did the same "semi seize". Loosened it up again and I changed the oil with no help. Can the oil filter cause this? Any other suggestions? Is this an internal problem?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Does it have electric start?

If it does will the starter turn the engine ok?

3. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

yeah it has electric start. It won't turn the motor until I loosen the motor. After the motor dies and "semi seizes" it won't turn it. When I fire it up there are no funny noises or anything.

4. Travis Followell

from KY

Sounds like an internal problem to me. I have an old push mower that someone gave me that will run a while and then just die for no reason. When you try to start it back you cant pull the rope because the engine is so tight so I reach underneath and turn the blade to loosen it up and then pull the rope and starts right up. But getting back to the problem the oil pump must not be working good so when you start it, it runs a minute and locks up and then you have to losen it up again.

5. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Well, just found out, for surely internal. Had it running and noises started to arrise from inside. Everything still spins about 3/4 turn then hits something. My guess would be the oil pump as well. Anyone interested in a parts motor in Wisconsin?

6. Travis Followell

from KY

The broken belt probibly didn't have anything to do with the internal engine problems, it was probibly just a coincidence.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A few months back I had a Briggs Vanguard come in the shop locked up. It had only a few minutes time on it when it lock. Turned out take some metal from the machining of the block had not got flush out of it at the factory and lock the oil pump up (broke the pump gear) and the motor locked due to not oil flow. Briggs replaced the engine. Yes a oil filter can cause an engine to lock. Most filters have a by-pass in case the filter clogs it will still allow oil to get to the engine but some filters (mostly after market) filters do not have a by-pass.

8. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

turns out the main bearing seized and snapped on one side and the other main bearing is scored. Both areas on the crank are scored. Is there anyway to fix the crank?

9. The Doctor

The Doctor LawnSite Member
    from Troy,AL

Take some emory cloth and sand the journals untill almost all of the aluminum is gone. Take it outside and pour muratic acid on the journals where the remaining aluminum is left and scrub it with a small stainless wire toothbrush. The aluminum will turn black and start foaming up making some horrendous fumes (be sure not to breathe them). When it quits foaming and turning black, finish sand it with some fine emory cloth and you now have a fixed crankshaft.