Briggs Vanguard V-Twin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen some of these engines on some equipment (not mowers) and was wondering if they are any good? They have a 2 year commercial use warrenty like the Briggs I/C twin I have. It's been bullet proof so far and I have no complaints other than having to clean the pre-filter all the time.

Anybody have any experience with these?

2. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

We have one 18HP Vanguard V twin that's in it's third season and used heavily each year. It has worked very well with NO problems at all.... Of course the oil is changed weekly and filters are blown out daily... It's all in the maintenance!

3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Nebraska...I run a 16hp on a 52" Exmark...bought it used 2 years ago and still runs like a champ...

4. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

My pressure washer has the 18 Vanguard, I have never had a problem with it in 3 years .

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Love these engines! I believe they're actually made by daihatsu. Got 2 16 HP engines on wb's (1996/1997 model years run great, got 2 18 HP engines on 2 standers 1999 & 2000 model years and a 16 HP onmy giant vac leaf loader 3 seasons old. All have had no problems - just replace fuel filters,plugs and change oil as needed.

Bob

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got 2 of them,and fellow spuerintendents have them also,they are great engines.We use mostly the 16hp,i feel they are way batter than the Kohlers,and as good as anything else.We have kohler 16s in our other mowers,no comparison at all.The 16;s are noted for having slight carn issues,but its usualy with 4000+hrs,this is on Toro greensmasters though,the carb may be different on wlk behinds.these engines are so so quiet,i keep tbinking its governed to slow,its just real quiet.

7. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree that they are quiet compared to the other engines we have.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Great engines...have 2 of the 18's on a couple of WB's.

Never a problem with them, especially when you keep up on the maintenance...like anything else, I guess.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

My old 20 Horse Vanguard twin was pull start and started easier than our Snapper trim mower. My wife could start it with ease.
    Pete

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks everyone!

Seems these engines are as liked by their owners as Kohler or Kawasaki. Sounds like the service is good too. All the dealers and engine techs I've spoke with say they are just as good as any other engine out there.

I liked the smooth quiet sound and the fact that all the stuff on them is metal. I wish my Briggs sounded that good :(

I believe clockwork routine maintenace is the most important element to extended engine life. I treat mine well and it returns the favor. Two years of heavy use, zero problems!!! (knock on wood)

Oh by the way, don't they have little oil coolers on them?