Brigs stratton vs Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Feb 12, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

this is a spin off from the blown Kohler tread . Ive never had a problem with Kohler Ive seen them go forever after being abused and not maintained proberly also I know that they tick like a mother #$^$%# aswell.
    anyway I have never heard so many problems with Kohers before until now so with that in mind Would Brigs be a better choice over the Kohler??
    has anyone had problems with Brigs??

2. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I personally don't like briggs at all.
    Kawasakis run great-have two 15 and 17 with about 1000 hrs no problems.

We have seen twin cylinder engines run much better than singles.

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki all the way. I bought a used mower from someone that just used it on their yard not commercialy but the mower is about 10 years old. Its still running strong with lots of compression. Its a 12.5 horse on a 48" wide walk behind its great.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to say it, but some/many repair shops now recognize the B/S Vanguard (daihatsu) as the best overall motor. It is an "upgrade" at some dealerships and cost on same size HP engine as Kaw is a couple hundred dollars. I've owned 4 of them, no problems. Don't care a lot for the kohlers, and kaws are okay. Thats my spin on the topic.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It's like this, at the bottom of the heap is Tecumseh next is Briggs next is Kohler and at the pennicle is Kawasaki. At least for now.

6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

This thread got me thinking....

Why hasn't Honda made it's way into the 15hp and up business? I never see them as an option on any commercial mower and yet all my dealings with smaller Honda engines has been nothing short of awesome!

Brian

7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I digress!! I just found that the '04 Scag Tiger Cub has an optional 24hp Honda. Still, I wonder why Honda hasn't spread?

B

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Dixie Chopper used to offer a 24hp Honda on theirs as well. a friend has two DC's 24hp Honda's with 60" decks and he loves them (he also has a 32hp Generac 72" XT series and a 25hp Kohler 60" I think) so fair comparison.

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

When i was looking at mowers I found a honda walk behind online that was 40 something inches wide with around a 15 hp honda on it. When i called they told me honda stoped making them. It looked like a good mower though I forgot the site I saw it on.

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

The only Briggs that are reliable are the Vanguard line up. I have some on my equipment and they treat me very well.