Brillion seed depth

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Old Red, Dec 31, 2003.

1. The few lawns I've done I have broadcast, raked and rolled the seed in. I'm looking at the Brillion seeders. I've seen positive posts about them on this site and believe one would be a labor saver. One thing has me curious; according to the literature on the Turfmaker Jr. and Landscape Seeders the planting depth is one inch, unless one gets the smooth rollers on the T Jr. and then the depth is one half inch. Isn't that way to deep?

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

The nubs on the seeders are 1" long, but once the seeder passes over and compacts the ground around them, max of about1/2". Buy one and don't look back. This is by far the best way to dry lay seed and is to seeding what Kleenex is to tissue!

3. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

With a Brillion Seeder (either version you mention), don't worry about seed depth... just pounds of seed per thousand. You will see a little grass seed still on top, but if Mother Nature is kind to you... one solid stand of grass for you. Good seeders!

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Old Red,

Here is a quote from this post.

"Most grass seed does best when planted 1/32" to 1/16" in soil."