1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

"Bring it through the house"

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zechstoker, May 31, 2013.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I've had residential spray lawns with no access tell us to drag through the house. Instantly become a FLO (Front Lawn Only) account..lol..there is no way I'd go through a house. They either have access from outside or no service to that area.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did one like that at one time. No mowing. But I had to drag a two hundred foot hose through the front door and out the sliding glass door in back. Worked OK--maybe you could throw the hose over the fence. I wouldn't want to mow it.
    This is a good job for a backpack sprayer. Mowing--good luck.
    My mother's nursing home has a tall fence--the mowing firm has a key to the gate.

I heard of a couple instances where they had to access by using the elevator.

3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Finally got out there and did the job yesterday. Ended up just hacking it down with a string trimmer rather than dragging the mower through the house. The job turned out to be a real PITA by the end of it, and took over a hour just to clean up all the debris. It looked good by the time I left, but it took twice as long as what it was initially priced for. Sorry, no pics.

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for updating us.

5. 4seasonsturfandsnow

4seasonsturfandsnow LawnSite Member

Sell them on No Mow grass seeding lol

6. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

We do a nursing home with a huge interior courtyard also, I guess they are all set up about the same. I get some weird looks walking through with a spreader, blower, and a backpack sprayer. I think the maintenance guys put the mower in a trash bag and carry it through the lobby. Huge PITA.

7. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I would say, either drastically raise your rates, sell them on installing a gate, or say screw it and discontinue the client. My personal opinion is don't waste your time on such a pita unless the pay is really worth it. Then anonymously refer the account to your competition lol :)

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Why would anybody have to raise their rate? They should be charging high from the beginning to deal with the circumstances. It's not like it would be a surprise that all of a sudden the only access point to the backyard is through the house.

9. BlazersandWildcats2009

BlazersandWildcats2009 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

CraigsList and one year contract. :walking: