Bring On the Argument.....Billy Goat Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PushingupDaisies, Jun 10, 2008.

1. PushingupDaisies

PushingupDaisies LawnSite Member

Ok, so I was trying to ask this on another thread, but I think it has been buried too far in that to attract the answers I need. I am a small outfit (see sig) and unfortunately only get to be in on the fun part time. I need to get a gate friendly walk behind that is reasonably priced. $5k for a mower right now is way out of the question. I looked at WorldLawn mowers and they are OK and more importantly in my price range for my small bump up in size. I am looking for a decent 32"-34" WB. I say decent in that right now I have under 10 accounts so a 5" thick deck with a 100hp kawi is overkill til I start growing bigger.

WorldLawn has a 33" for 1700 including bag. I did find a Billy Goat for $1700 as well with bag. http://www.billygoat.com/site/specifications.aspx?pid=17

I have seen Billy Goat aerators before, which means nothing because I've seen Murray mowers too.

Does anyone have any real world experience with this brand?

I'm not really interested in the Quickie 32 or the Everride as I don't know any local dealers.

So come on, lets start the fight. But please, if you have real world experience with a BG mower, give me your opinion.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

1st off what dealers do you have around? a good dealer is crucial. there was recently a post about world lawn mowers, search for it. no experience w/ the BG mowers. ive been 100% satisfied w/ my scags, exmarks, toros, and my dc. u can find great deals on used w/b. i paid $200 for my 1st one and ran it for 2 yrs bf i sold it for $500. NO problems. same w/ the scags and other mowers, bought dirt cheap, and sold for more than i had in them. look around, u can find one.

3. PushingupDaisies

PushingupDaisies LawnSite Member

There is a dealer that I have used for repairs, and bought my tiller from. They have been around forever. They are listed as a BG dealer, but haven't seen much there. They carry Dixon, Gravely and Toro. They have a Gravely I want, but I could almost but 2 BG's for that price. I've been looking but its the wrong end of the season to find much used. Especially in the 32"-34" range. One of the dealers I called carried the exmarks but also carried the BG. He suggested the BG because of the price and reputation of the brand.

Been in sales a long time myself so know he could easily just be full of it. That's why I am hoping someone on here has used the BG brand and can tell me honestly what they think.

4. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

I to am in the market for a cheaper walk behind. One of the local dealers suggested the BG or a Red Hawk. He says he has no real preference on the two and says that he hasn't had any big issues with either brand.

Has anyone ever compared (or used for that matter) a BG or Red Hawk?

Well, I guess the dealer does have a preference, he would like me to buy a bigger Hustler or Exmark.

5. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

I've used a BG and thought it was a difficult mower to use. Decent cut, but too hard to handle and it tears the crap out of the lawn. I think you'd be better off with a hydro if you can swing it. You might want to re-think the Quick 32. They're simple machines and you can do any necessary work on it yourself. With only 10 lawns you shouldn't need a lot of exotic dealer maintenance anyway. Good luck.

6. dura to the max

from georgia

these were the same thoughts i had on the quick mowers. if you cant handle he simpel stuff, you might ought to rethink the lanw care industry. and you can find shops that will work on these machines. theyre standard motors, and from what ive heard its very easy to get parts.

7. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I will give you my thoughts on mowers.I started out years ago with a 33" Troy - Bilt.It was OK but the safety levers always seemed to pinch my fingers.The cut was good but it was a mulching machine only-no bagger.IMO you need a machine that bags.The BG looks decent.It probably is a good intro mower for a few accounts.It will serve well down the road as a back-up mower if you get alot of accounts and buy a bigger mower.It always pay to buy the best that you can afford but can get by with less for awhile.I would buy the BG if I were in your shoes and make money with it for the time being.33" mowers have always saved me time on my intermediate size lawns.

8. dura to the max

from georgia

get the quick mower over the bg

9. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

Hold on a second, I have this mower and no longer use it because I hate it.

Reasons are: its useless when cutting 3 things, Wet grass, tall grass and weeds.

When cutting wet grass forget about it, I was having better luck with my 21" honda.

Tall grass I would cut over it and it would leave half the grass uncut.

The third reason was most frustrating. When cutting weeds like dandelions, the mower wouldn't cut them at all. Here is the flaw with this mower, It has 3 - 11 7/8" blades with small deck and when you cut the dandelions the front of the mower would push the weeds down, the wind from the blades would keep the weeds down, the your result is after the weeds come out the back the are uncut. Which in turn makes you stop and huff with all your strength to pull the mower backwards ato cut over the uncut weeds.

I am a strong guy, however, my forearms were always tired after using this machine.

Also mower has very small gas tank and I thought I burnt a lot of gas at the same time.

hope this helps

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the Gravely line of Pro walk mowers for a start.