Bring you dog to work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 16, 2010.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Anybody take you dog along on the mowing route? I have always wanted to do this and I'm getting a dog here shortly ( don't know the breed I want yet) and since I'm never home taking it along makes sense.

I would train it to hang out in the trailer when working and hop in the cab when done. Water and shade wouldn't be an issue with the enclosed trailer and the 10 gal drinking water I have with me at all times.

A dog could dbl as security in areas where things get stolen easier. I mean if I saw a dog sitting in a trailer I would stay away.

I could start with a leash and then later just let it do its thing.

Oh and I want a friendly dog for sure.

Let me know what you guys think?

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I thought about doing the same thing but I want a English bulldog and well he'd die here doing such a thing. Its too hot you would have to get some kind of street mutt or something.

3. South Florida Lawns

from usa

street mutt hell yea!

4. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you get a short haired dog to keep in your enclosed trailer... My trailer gets pretty hot! Also watch where you store your fuel and other dangerous things. It would be easier to train the dog to do what you want if you get a puppy and start him with you only a few hours a day to start. My dogs are scared as hell of all my equip also...this idea didn't work for me.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

keep the dog home outside. unless you don't run very full weeks i can't imagine having time for the dog. you gotta let it use the bathroom some time and pick up the sheot, let it in the trailer, in and out of the truck, make sure it has water and food.

not to mention some of the other points already noted. enclosed trailers get pretty hot in the summer even with the roof vent open and the gate down while your mowing. the fuel would be a problem too.

6. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I will be getting a pup! and I always have the ramp and vents down when working and the dog would not be tied up so it could move if it got too hot.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I take my two with me until it gets to warm, then the stay home. They get up when I do and know when it's time to go to work LOL.

8. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

Mine always ride with me when farming or working in the field (telecommunications). They ride in the back of my extended cab (rubber floors) and have blankets, food, and water. When I am working, they stay close.

I would be weary of a puppy around cars and equipment. Things happen quick.

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I'm gonna try it, i have 3 other guys with me at all times so its not like i cant keep an eye out till it gets older and trained.

I only worry that Florida conditions may be too harsh.

10. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

"I only worry that Florida conditions may be too harsh. "

Be very cautious, you could easily get arrested for animal cruelty or neglect, out in this hot harsh weather.

I wish my client's neighbors would take their yabby little mutts to work with em, nothing worse than the mutt next door barking at me for hours!