1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing back a dry lawn mid-season?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by pacificdrumma, Jun 25, 2014.

1. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma LawnSite Member
    from CT

One of the accounts I mow has steadily dried out over the past couple of weeks, it was brown-ish last week, but when I went to cut it today, it was toasty. I cut at 3", which I think is pretty reasonable for this time of year. It doesnt help that we havent had a ton of rain this year either, but I would not say we are in a draught. So, my question to all of your more experienced guys is, what can I do or what can I put down to bring this lawn back?

2. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Yet you continue to mow a "brown-ish, toasty" lawn ?? Water would be my first suggestion :confused:

3. pacificdrumma

pacificdrumma LawnSite Member
    from CT

Im hoping we get some good rain over the next couple of days

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe our heavy rains will make it to your MA state. I think your main choice is a slow release fert. It won't hurt anything--and--when rain or irrigation happen, it will bounce back quicker. Brown grass blades do not come back; new green leaf blades must arise from the crown of the grass plant; it's near the soil level. Encourage the owner to apply about 30 minutes of water per week--less browning--and less chance of the grass plant dying all the way to to roots. Its probably perennial rye--which grass is not particularly drought hardy. If he doesn't want to water--maybe tall fescue would suit his situation better. Or zoysia.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I don't get where professional lawn care people, get the idea it is professional to do anything with dormant/stressed plants... driving on them to mow or add fertilizer is not something that can be shown beneficial at all,,, but certainly may damage/kill the dried out crowns...
    Lawn care would mean caring for the grass...

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya first rule on toasted lawns...do not mow until they start recovering.