Brinly-Hardy 40 in. Aerator Spreader

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BROWNS LAWN CARE, Aug 26, 2012.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Find a used drum style core aerator. Or if you find a cam style one that's even better. Ryan, plugr, or lesco split drum. If you have to a blue bird, billy goat, or classen will do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. BROWNS LAWN CARE

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

3. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

you can find a ok aerator at northern tool or similar ohio steel makes one

4. BROWNS LAWN CARE

so i take it there is no such beast as a core aerator and seeder. the good aerators are a unit unto themselves, correct?

5. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i see it that way , at least from what ive seen, although these two seem to make easy profit

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Give it a try or rent a similar setup to see how you like it.What happens when you hit a rock? What is the reason for aerating--are you using it to prep for seed? Control excess thatch? Think the roots need more air? On sandy soil the roots have plenty of air--too much--once the pore spaces drain out, the air replaces the water. Its a lot of work. There is a liability risk due to underground sprinklers and wires.

7. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i dont worry about rocks occasionally i have to pry one out...so what not very often...d all of the above...heavy clay soils up to twice a yr sandy soils once a yr also breaks up disease and keeps lawn healthy... explain thre risk most people know their yard

8. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree it is junk. I have one that I got for free along with a tractor I bought. I never tried to use it but did loan it to a friend and on the first use it broke. Too light weight for professional use. Maybe ok for a homeowner.

9. BROWNS LAWN CARE