British Made Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Phil G, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

After making a couple of references to Hayter Mowers I thought I'd show you one.
    It's powered by a B&S Intek engine. It's the full width roller that gives the good strips. Fixed pulley to crank, transferring to vari pulley to a fixed pulley on the gearbox (out of sight). The large disk is a friction disk to protect the crankshaft if you hit an immovable object. The blade bends inwards when tightened up, again to help it slip when over loaded.

Some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and good ol' CP power tools, THE BEST.

NOW OWNED BY TORO !

=

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

That thing looks heavy, I would hate to have to push it. :weightlifter:
    How long is the cutting season over there ?
    That ChicagoPuke can not stand up to my IR :laugh:

ericg likes this.
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Funky, Looks way heavy duty. Show more pics and some stripes.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have tried to buy one here. The US distributor is a POS IMHO. I offered to drive to a Cal trade show to purchase one, he said we will be driving through PHX on the way back to GA or FLA . We will stop and do the deal there :clapping: great I thought. After numerous calls he finally returned my call to tell me he had decided to fly back and his driver didn't feel comfortable stopping :hammerhead:.

I was mad but told him I was still interested but I have never heard from him and its been almost 3 years now. I have heard good things about the mower. I heard they cut very low. I am interested as a possible replacement to my reel mowers. The last I heard they were 1800 US for a 21"

5. Phil G

The mower is power driven to the rear roller. The season never really stops here. Main cutting is end March to end October, but usually put the mower over the lawns once every two weeks in the winter (weather allowing) just to groom the lawns, it refreshes the stripes.
    Mower weighs in at about 110lbs[
    Who's IR ? never heard of them here :)/COLOR]

I will call the sales manager I know on Monday to get more info on US sales :)

Some pics on this posting here :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237886

atb Phil

6. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Phil, tried to PM you and couldn't get thru,evidently the server is too busy. Would like to talk to you across the pond on a landline or wireless, your are a real asset to this website, and your input is very valuable, look forward to hearing from you, Thanks from across the pond. C'ya K

7. Phil G

Hi Kevin, thank you for your kind comments. I think I'm too new here to be able to access pm's. Gonna look around and see how longe membership has to be to gain pm status.

It's 8.10 am on a sunny Sunday morning and we've got a 7mth little boy here who's being a rascal right now demanding our attention, back later, atb Phil :usflag:

=

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Sweet stripes!

I've never been to England, but I've always wanted to. Partly for the history and culture, (not the real high end culture, I'm more of a Red Dwarf, Dr Who, fish and chips kind of guy), but the other reason is to see the gardens. Those pics are great.

I lived in Iceland for a few years back in the 90s. There was an older couple there that I became friends with. The woman was from England, and had been employed by the royal family as a cook, it was no big deal to her, she said they had many of them. Anyway, they'd have us over for a meal about once a month. People here sometimes rag on English food, but this stuff was to die for. Her fish and chips were the best I have ever tasted. She would use Haddock, she had her secret recipe for the breading, and sauce. She would serve them piping hot. Her chips were of course home made and very good.
    Now I've gone and made myself hungry.:laugh:

I may be wrong, but I believe you have to reach a certain post count before you can PM. I think that is the rule here, I know it is on other forums. It may be 50 or something, so you may be able to now.

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

So then I guess you don't have to deal with snow ?

The IR stands for Ingersoll Rand, they make all kinds of air tools and heavy duty compressors and alot of other stuff. Best impact gun I have ever owned.

So are you a fan of Lewis ? I don't think there are any F1 fans on here.

ericg likes this.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Phil, how low do you cut with yours? Seemed to me there was also something about blade tip speed as well that made that machine interesting to me. Sea something is the national dist locally its Toro but they had no interest in bringing in any they said I could just order one but you know how that is. I am not so wealthy that I can take a 1800 flier on a machine I have not seen :dizzy: in person.

On a side note I lived in England for a year 1973. It was very different to say the least. I was in 6th grade I did not yet have an appreciation for gardens back then. My step father was in the air force and we were stationed at Mildenhall. They were winding down back then it may not even be a functioning air base any longer. Lakenheath was the bigger base at the time and where I went to school. My memories were being chased a lot... by farmers for making forts on giant block stacks of hay. They use canals as fish hatcheries, how was I to know! I just thought, man this is good fishing here. Someone from there was chasing us. Come to think of it could be that the only native I knew was a troublemaker. When we first arrived we stayed at a B&B and the owners son was my age so he was showing me the ropes.