Broad leaf weed killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by desert rose gardening, Dec 13, 2004.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried a lot of different brands of broad leaf weed killers, mainly the ones from home stores. I don't have a big demand for it. What would you say is the best from your experiences? Thanks for the advice.
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the specific weed or weeds you are trying to kill. Where these weeds are at. And time of year trying to kill weeds.

In Grassy areas There are hundreds of broadleaf killers. I like it simple and wont strain unless I get some weeds that just wont die. I use 2-4-D Amine. Fairly broad spectrum of broadleaf weeds and is very cheap, about 16 bucks a gallon.

In non grassy areas that you can kill everything..... Glyphosate wether it be round up, Mirage, or an off brand.
  3. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Well it really depends on what your trying to control. Ester based formulations tend to work well on difficult to control weeds, however they become volatile with warmer temps., so you've got to be careful. The old standby Trimec works well for many common easy to control broadleafs, which is an amine formulation, not as volatile. Hope this helps.
  4. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

We must have posted at the same time, good suggestion!
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Advice.....get certified and you won't be asking these questions :rolleyes:
  6. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Oh please,

Certification, is that the magic gate to the label? Give the guy (or Girl) a break, he is asking an experience question, so stop with the get licensed or certified. I am, and I can tell you the ONLY thing that proves is that you have the tenacity to pass the testing requirements, then there comes the experience. I don't know what it is about this web site, I have seen a smattering of members who comment about this site being so negative, and, they do not really participate in the posting of threads on a consistent basis. I always wondered what stimulated this culture? There is a tremendous pool of extremely talented people who respond to this site and those people are very helpful; they seem to enjoy helping with the experience questions.

So, being one of the licensed, insured, tested and completely legal participants of this site, I can attest to the fact that that certification test proves nothing more than being able to pass an observe test on a given day, that's it. Get off it.

And the answer to the question is there are many products for broad leaf control, more than able to describe. I like speed zone in the grass, but that depends on the species of grass, the target weed and the ambient temp. So what are the specifics of your request, locations timing and application. There is a lot of information on the label, and some information from practical experience that you can get here!

I like this web site, there are just sometimes so many negative worthless comments that really bog it down. Lets all help each other out, this can be an extremely technical industry and I have yet to find the guy who knows it all.

So, unless Sean is going to keep all of the unlicensed people out of here, give the answers, if it is illegal for them to get or apply the materials, that is on them.

Weed Solutions
  7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Lou, I couldn't dis agree with you more, Im not going to argue with you either, but your post is far more negative then the one your complaining about.

I will say this, the ones that complain about this issue are the unlicensed ones
  8. qps

from Indy

I agree, how many of these same post do you see???? how do I do this or how do I do that, I don't mind any legitimate question, but when someone ask for the tenth time "how do I kill a dandelion" it tells me that this site has mostly wannabe's that aren't investing in the time or money to learn how to do "it right"...everyone with a truck and a walk behind is "in business" they usually aren't properly insured, and or trained...most are gone within a few yeah I'm losing alittle patience with the "wannabe's"
  9. qps

from Indy

Also Lou, you support what I was saying when you asked what type of grass, target weed and temps...ect... in your answer... :rolleyes:
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the certification tests do NOT educate you on the type of chemicals to use. that only comes with further training and/or experience