Broadcast Spreader Calibration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfman33, Oct 9, 2005.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hey,

I did a search and found a bit of an answer to the question from 1999 and 2000 but I was wondering if there is anything out there that can help.

I want to calibrate a Lesco broadcast spreader without throwing fert. granules down my street or practicing on somebody else's yard.

Is there a pan that can be fixed under the spreader to where you can take it off and weigh the product after you have marked out and walked a certain distance with the spreader. would make the calibration a bit more easy. Trying to find an area around my way where I can go throwing fert. around to calibrate my spreader is not easy.

hope there is something out there that can help.

thanks

Steve

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

There is a "Catch Pan" made for just the propose But I am not sure where you can buy one. Depending on which model commercial spreader you have, check with the manufacture.

Since you did a search I hope you found Groundskper's post about Calibration. It is an excellent one like all of his posts. I talked with him by phone just last week and he no longer reads LS or any other forum. This is a great loss.

BTW there are many ways to calibrate a spreader. A Catch Pan is only one. If you are unable to find one try some of the other methods even if you have to sweep up granules. Don't forget to check Distribution also.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco has calibration key's for their spreaders to.

4. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have the keys, but this does not let me know how much product is going to be applied. It helps with the gaping but you still don't know how many pounds of each product is going down on somebodies lawn.

Thanks

Steve

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try http://www.psbcompany.com/pdfs/ArcMAN.pdf this product will do just what your lookling for. the calibration keys are just to get you going. it will not help with the spread from side to side (as will nothing with a lesco, imo), but will give you the exact amount of product applied.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

With the Lesco, there is no need to worry about any adjustment for how much throw is on each side. All Lesco spreaders shoot a pattern that is 10:00 o'clock to 3:00 o'clock. When spreading with a Lesco hopper, you go around the property counterclockwise with your shield down and your 3rd hole shut off for your first lap. After that, shield up, and 3rd hole open, you continue in a counterclockwise patter, spacing the rows so you're throwing your material to the center of the previous passes wheeltracks. If you do this, you end up with a perfect uniform blanket over the entire property - everytime. No streaks.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

Never explained it that way myself, but that is exactly how I do it. I use the Lesco Truckter. No I don't get streaks either. But I now calibrate as I go. I know the Sq ft of each property and allow for over throw into the beds. I just check how much product is used for each property. I may not be exact but I am close enough. I find that setting change as you use a spreader and try and keep up on calibration on the fly so to speak. BTW Ground speed is a real factor when calibrating.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta admit,...it IS funny watching trugreen and guys from other services doing rows with these spreaders. Whenever I see that, I always say to myself I can't WAIT to come back by in 2 weeks and see the results! LOL
    This pattern that we discuswsed works well for me on the permagreen, because when I'm done, I then go the opposite way to spray. This way, there is no mix up of what rows are what.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco should put that in their operators manual, but then i guess they would be admitting they have a problem and don't want to fix (or don't know how). lesco spreaders are built for the long run, but i can't stand using them for the very same reason as stated in the other post.

10. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I know its relatively meaningless, but what number is your lesco usually set to? Mine is usually 13-15 depending on the many other factors.