broadcast spreader settings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grincon, Feb 28, 2009.

1. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

What setting do i use to get 6 #'s for 1000sf on a Scotts broadcast spreader?

2. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

6#/M HOLY TOLEDO! What the heck ya throw'n down?

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing thats 6lbs of total product, not 6 lbs of nitrogen.

To answer your question, do a google search on how to calibrate a spreader.

I realize thats not the answer your looking for, but any other answer is wrong. Spreader settings don't really mean much. One spreader of a certain make and model may throw a different amount of product down than even another spreader of the same brand and model number. Once you calibrate it, remember the setting. As a homeowner I would suggest you calibrate once a year.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

if it is fert then it will be higher than M setting on the slide adjuster. that is 4 lbs per K

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Weigh 6 pounds. Apply. Adjust. Repeat. 6 pounds is way too much--if you really want that much,I would start at about "S" or "T", or better yet, use "M". Put in half of what you need--adjust--then cover it again.

What product are you spreading?

6. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I used my pest appl. book, it had a chapter in calibrating. I did some test runs but I dont know if a scotts spreader is accurate, I thought i had it then i was off by about a pound.

I buy simplot products now and they recomended one of their spreaders for about $150. The scotts cost me about $30:confused:

I will be spreading SSN 22-02-12

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And you are applying 1.32 pounds of nitrogen per thousand for what reason? Is any of that slow release? Is this an Oregon thing?

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

if that scotts only cost you 30 bucks either it is a total pos or you got it very used. if it is not a pro spreader like the accupro 2000 then get something worth a F&%&. otherwise your apps will suffer. if it is the pro spreader then yeah, follow all the above advice by all means

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

30 dollar spreader? Calibration? Uh....