Broadcast Spreader

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Glenn J, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I have the worst luck with these things, I swear! I own about 4...all of them are broken. A few years ago, I picked up a decent on from Agway, pneumatic tires it looked like a solid unit. Well, the cable froze and all the metal is starting to rust badly. :rolleyes:

Anyone here have any recomendations as of what to get and where to get it? I know there's a Lesco around here......

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Hey Glenn,
    I looked at the Lesco 80lb. walk-behind broadcast spreader. Awesome spreader to describe it in one word but.....$325.00 for stainless and $225.00 for steel w/black epoxy.
    I wound up purchasing a commercial Earthway 100lb. walk-behind for $140.00 See link http://www.earthway.com/2170.htm

For the few times per year of use, I couldn't justify the Lesco spreader.
    Greg

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you hose the unit down and let it dry after use then spray a light coat of WD40 on it mite just keep it from rusting and freezing up.

4. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

bought a low end earthway spreader 8 years ago with the pneumatic tires for $70 for around the house. used 4 or 5 times a year and no problems. the small t-handle is the only drawback. no cable -- has steel rod linkage for the hopper control. wash it after each use and you should not have a problem.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Care and cleaning is what a spreader is all about. Use it and then wash it thourghly and let it dry in the sun, if you can blow off the excess water first. Keep every moving part lubed with wd-40 or grease (for wheels and gears). If you see a paint chip or crack on the frame, hit it with spray paint. fertilizer is one of the more corrosive things you could even touch to metal... If there's no bare metal to contact, then there's no problem!

The spreaders that use cables for on and off are a joke... 9 times out of 10 they aren't even stainless cables and, just like you described, stop working.

Stainless frames and plastic hopper is the way to go. LESCO. but if you aren't applying on more lawns than your's it's a waste of money... I have a all stainless Spyker spreader. I think it cost as much as a Lesco but dosn't hold as much, the agitator drags thru the material in a circle, and the CABLE to open and close it is junk. My parent's inherited it from me and it's still better than anyhthing they had ever seen!

Go for the earthway. I see tham used a lot, I also have seen very large and long handles on some models, pretty cool!

6. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice.

The cable on mine is fused solid. I tried silicone and PB Blaster...neither worked!

Where can I get the earthway spreader?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Go Here Glenn ! http://www.earthway.com/retail.htm

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

9. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll eventaully go with the 2170. :waving:

10. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

FYI: It's a pretty LARGE spreader. I think the hopper holds 100lbs (maybe 80lbs)

This thing dwarfs the "scotts" ones you see everywhere.