broadleaf apps. in cemeterys.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Jun 11, 2005.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have serviced several cemeterys over the years and they are profitable. It is really just a matter of up and down the rows for the granular products, however, spraying weeds is a slow process. You can't boom spray due to all the flowers planted around the monuments,backpacks are useless,too much square footage,the lesco skid sprayer works well but dragging hundreds of feet of hose up & down the rows (150000 sq. ft.) insane! The best system i have devised is 2 men. One man driving the kubota the other walking the rows behind the tractor, spraying off a 30 gallon demco pto sprayer. Is there a better,faster,more effective process for this situation?

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

with experience on cemeterys much larger than 150k, I'd say you're about as close as you're going to get on efficiency with the drive and gun method for those types of properties. The one other option you may have is a driftless boom, the style with spray curtains on a utility vehicle or out front mower if it will fit between markers. You'll still have to hand gun around the markers themselves, but that will knock down large swaths at a time without drift concerns. hmmm..wait, I'll add one more..there are also roller wickers that you can use very close to flower beds without drift as well although I'm not sure what widths they come in. You still need a tank and pump for either.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I think a Permagreen unit would work well. I couple flood nozzles mounted on a mower would work also.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, or a custom made tow behind unit with adjustable booms (Maybe a 30 gallon unit spraying low volume ie .5 gal - 1gal per 1,000k)

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

actually, I think the nozzles are too high on the permagreen machine to get in as close to the flowers as he seems to want to. I don't think anything that has the possibility of aerial drift is going to work any better than the way he is currently doing it.

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Thankx for the ideas guys, but i still think walking the rows is the most effective. The demco spray gun is light and accurate, i can edge right up to the monuments.